2 Separate Buildings - 1 Fire Alarm Control Panel

YOUNG EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello All,

I currently am the AHJ.

However, I currently have 2 Buildings on the same land, but different addresses. I was proposed to have 1 Fire Alarm Control Panel for both buildings.

I tried to look for anything on the code and surfed the web, nothing stood out to me.

In my opinion I believe we should have two separate Fire Alarm Control Panel; 1 for each building.

Would there be any code which states on not sharing 1 Fire Alarm Control Panel for two separate Buildings.

Please advise.

Thanks.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
There is nothing in the code that prevents one fire alarm panel from covering more than one premises. However, the potential problem exists as to how to distinguish between them when a fire alarm is reported to the central station. Usually the central station will report only one address for a monitoring service. So you'd have to go to building "A" every time even if the fire was in building "B". There are strategies to get around this, but if I were you, I'd want separate systems. Use the reporting confusion to justify your stance, and see what they come back with.

Out of curiosity, how far apart are the buildings? How many stories? Square footage?

ron

I would imagine since a permit can be only one block / lot # (address), then it would be one FACP and supervising station per address. The IBC / IFC and NFPA 72 requires the monitoring, but not exact language saying one per address.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I would imagine since a permit can be only one block / lot # (address), then it would be one FACP and supervising station per address. The IBC / IFC and NFPA 72 requires the monitoring, but not exact language saying one per address.
I can't recall off hand having put two buildings at separate addresses on a single FACU. I think we did have an instance or two of putting a second building on the same panel that was at the same address.

Reactions: ron