2 gang meter base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshta

I'm thinking about bidding on wiring a duplex apartment. I'm going to be honest and say that it's been a while since I've done anything residential. I've been strictly commercial/industrial for 17 years. Anyway, I've done a load calc for the units and decided that a 125 amp panel in each unit is the way to go. I've been researching 2 gang meter bases with service disconnects and I came up with this:

0cfe3ffd-60c9-43f5-a918-6abbdcc57281_400.jpg

It says in the description that the disconnecting means is rated at 125 amps each but the meter bases themselves are rated at 200 amps. I planned on using a IMT conduit for my mast and 4/0-/4/0-2/0 SE cable in the conduit for my service riser to the meters. The service disconnect breakers are rated at 125 amps. Is this even permissible?

peter d

How big are the apartments? Where I live, 100 amps is way more than necessary for an apartment but we almost always have all gas appliances and heating, and no central cooling.

kwired

Electron manager
What is your combined load calculation, as Bob mentioned the main supply conductors when supplying more then one disconnecting means only need sized per load calculation. Demand factors on both units together are likely different then they are for individual units so 125 plus 125 does not always equal 250 in this kind of situation.

seth207

I just did a milbank setup just like this. Had to buy lugs and breakers separately so could size it as needed. Mil bank U2852x

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
On the side, I own a 4 plex. I had to replace the Zinsco meter hubs and disconnects, replacing 60 amp breakers. I had to go w/ 60 again, due to the wire size going to the subpanel in each apartment (bathroom). I could have re-wired them, but 60 has been plenty w/ 850 sq. feet, electric stove, gas forced air heat and gas water heater.

kwired

Electron manager
On the side, I own a 4 plex. I had to replace the Zinsco meter hubs and disconnects, replacing 60 amp breakers. I had to go w/ 60 again, due to the wire size going to the subpanel in each apartment (bathroom). I could have re-wired them, but 60 has been plenty w/ 850 sq. feet, electric stove, gas forced air heat and gas water heater.
I think 60 is fine if load calc is 60 or less. Some think you must have 100 amp feeder but that is not the case here unless a local code would require it.

A single family dwelling would be required to have 100 amps service disconnecting means but could then go directly to a 60 amp feeder carrying entire dwelling load if the load calc was 60 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.