2 amps, too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Why should other GFCI's trip? They don't monitor the EGC.

Somewhere the EG is bonded to the grounded conductor. It was tripping his, wasn't it?
Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. If you meant try plugging in to a different GFCI my apologies, though if 2 amps is finding it's way to the EGC, I expect it to trip any properly working GFCI.

I thought you were trying to say this current on the EGC would trip other GFCI's even though the load in question is not passing through them, most likely a misunderstanding there.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
more

more

As an experiment how much of the 2 amps reading can be attributed to the heater vs. the ultrasonic?
Consider the possibility that the DVM reading may be skewed by high frequency currents.

If possible try other meters, analog if you have it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
what you brought up is why I asked to check ground lights. The gfci possibly won't trip depending on setting. A gfci on a breaker is different than personnel gfci.
personel gfci are 4 to 6 ma. And wiring/breaker gfcis I've seen set as high as 7 amps.
By definition a GFCI is a people protection device and trips at ~5mA. GFCI breakers and GFCI receptacles trip at the same point. If it trips at some other level it is ground fault protection (GFP or GFPE) and not a GFCI.

iwire

Staff member
what you brought up is why I asked to check ground lights. The gfci possibly won't trip depending on setting. A gfci on a breaker is different than personnel gfci.
personel gfci are 4 to 6 ma. And wiring/breaker gfcis I've seen set as high as 7 amps.

To add to Dons post.

GFCIs are for the protection of people. (Trips around 5mA)

GFP is for the protection of equipment. (Trip can range from 30mA to 100s of amps)

You can never use GFP in place of code required GFCI.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
As an experiment how much of the 2 amps reading can be attit jump ibuted to the heater vs. the ultrasonic?
Consider the possibility that the DVM reading may be skewed by high frequency currents.

If possible try other meters, analog if you have it.
This has crossed what mind I have. Someone borrowed my Simpson, so TRMS digitals are all I have, other than T+Pro.

IDR offhand the heater vs ultrasonic, but I believe ultrasonic made it jump the most. I have some scribbled notes somewhere.

I did check the open circuit voltage of the EG, about 10v, and when I added the Tpro in parallel with the first the voltage did not drop significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.