12-2 on a 15amp breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard different things. I know that 14awg=15amp breaker, 12awg=20amp breaker, and 10awg=30. My Q is where does it say in the NEC that you can't use 12awg on a 15 amp breaker? Had a discussion today about it with an Inspector. I know that it's a little overkill but it won't hurt. I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: 12-2 on a 15amp breaker

Better yet, you tell us why you think it might be a problem. Consider that it's done every day and no, there is nothing in the NEC to prohibit it or even larger if you feel like it.

-Hal

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I agree with Hal. The purpose in life of a breaker is to protect the cable. A 15 amp breaker is perfectly capable of protecting a #12. The breaker would trip before the cable was in danger of overheating. It is code-compliant. Is it overkill? Maybe. Depends on the length of the run. You might want #12 on a long run (over 100 feet, for example), for voltage drop considerations. But you could still protect it with a 15 amp breaker.

jimwalker

Just what kind of inspector was he ? electrical or home ?
This is not a violation.
Now if it was a S A circuit on #12 with 15 amp breaker there is a violation.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

"Small Appliance." Those have to be 20 amp. The most obvious use for an SA circuit is to serve kitchen countertop receptacles, but there are others.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by usernotfound:
I've heard different things. I know that 14awg=15amp breaker, 12awg=20amp breaker, and 10awg=30. My Q is where does it say in the NEC that you can't use 12awg on a 15 amp breaker? Had a discussion today about it with an Inspector. I know that it's a little overkill but it won't hurt. I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks
Won't the listing of the device specify what size wires can be placed there? AFAIK there is no rule that says you can't upsize wiring, and in fact its pretty common to do so, especially to reduce voltage drop over long distances.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

The only related rule is 250.122(B). It says that you have to increase the size of the EGC in proportion to the increase in size of the phase conductors.

By the way, ?AFAIK? is a new one to me. I am guessing it means ?as far as I know.?

I agree with you guys completely. I definately don't see anything wrong with it and have been doing it for 8 years. We barely ever run 14. The circuit doesn't supply "small apliances" that would be in a kitchen, this circuit is in a garage. The Inspector was questioning my motives,(hard *** ) which made me doubt myself for a second but the issue has been resolved. Thanks for the speedy replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.