100 amp service to a 125 amp panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgrwd

I have come across a set up where 100 amp service terminates to a 125 amp panel. The larger panel seems to be used to accomodate more breakers which power the large amount of lights and outlets in the home. However there are only 60 amps out of the 100 being used.

Does this config need to be changed? If so why and how?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: 100 amp service to a 125 amp panel

Are you saying the service entrance conductors are terminated to a 125 amp OCPD, or is there a 100 amp OCPD installed in a 125 amp rated panel?

Roger

pgrwd

A 125 amp rated panel with a 100 amp OCPD as the main and a sub with a 20 or more breakers.

My apolgies for mixing terminology. Keep me straight.....I'm learning.

jimwalker

I see nothing wrong with that installation.Many times the panel is rated far higher than the main breaker,often to get more spaces.

pgrwd

I again got negative comments about this set up from a pesky inspector.

Thanks for the reply.

jimwalker

Solve them problems in 2 ways.First carry a copy of 2002 nec and second ask him to find the violation in the code book.While he is looking go take lunch.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Ask the inspector to explain how you can provide 50 amp fuses for a piece of equipment if you can't provide a fusible switch rated at 60 amps?

This is the same thing.

Roger

sundowner

I would watch my delivery to your local AHJ.

" While he is looking go take lunch."

When I was younger and foolish I was a lot quicker with my tounge,and used to wag it a "bit" at inspectors.

:D Several jobs later I got a call from a Sub. on that particular job of mine...What he told me was " Dude yer gonna need a shovel to clear away the red tags" My point being, you have to work with the same guys job after job. Even if your area is metro, you can bet you will run into the same inspector again. One more thing to think about - He can make your life a living Hell if anything escalates from a "nose to nose". Work with him, you'll find he's probably a pretty good guy.

I learned my lesson rather inexpensively, but it is worth a million. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.