10 foot ground rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am referring to 250-66(a). The reason I am asking is I am installing a new 800a service and the only grounding method I have is rods. I did not know if the 10 foot rod would give me more for a fault.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The purpose of a ground rod is not to clear a line to case fault. Ground rods stabilize the voltage and provide protection from lightning or line surges.
My best advice is to "drive two and go home"
However if a ufer ground is present you are required to use it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Technically the code says that you are supposed to have 8' of rod in the ground, so if you leave 6" sticking out, you are not meeting the code. With the 10' rod it's not an issue.

Carultch

Technically the code says that you are supposed to have 8' of rod in the ground, so if you leave 6" sticking out, you are not meeting the code. With the 10' rod it's not an issue.

Why even make an 8 ft ground rod, if it doesn't meet the code? What application would there be, where you would exhaust the entire length of the ground rod just to meet code required embedment?

And, in a physical sense, nothing special happens at 96th inch of embedment, that would make 95 inches of embedment significantly insufficient. There's gotta be a continuous function here, relating embedment depth to the required performance as a grounding electrode.

Last edited:

Carultch

The purpose of a ground rod is not to clear a line to case fault. Ground rods stabilize the voltage and provide protection from lightning or line surges.
My best advice is to "drive two and go home"
However if a ufer ground is present you are required to use it.

If you "drive two and go home", what electrical specs will that cover you for?

Certainly there has got to be a time when you exceed the capacity of your default two ground rods embedded 8 ft at 6 ft separation.

jeremysterling

An 8 foot ground rod is rated at #6 copper. Is a 10 foot ground rod rated higher?

...My best advice is to "drive two and go home"

I worked a residential service upgrade last year, and thinking alike with Tom, I drove two 8' rods (fully in soft Pecan bottom). I ran #6 per NEC. The inspector arrived and asked me to remove the #6 and install #4 in its place. He said his boss had come to the conclusion that if the NEC says that #6 is good for one rod, then #4 should be good for two!

His request wasn't that hard, so I laughed to myself and ran the #4.

iwire

Staff member
Why even make an 8 ft ground rod, if it doesn't meet the code? What application would there be, where you would exhaust the entire length of the ground rod just to meet code required embedment?

Every application of an 8' rod.

We are required to drive it below grade to get the 8'.

There is also a code section requiring we don't leave it sticking up to be a hazard.

Here is part of 250.53(G)

The upper end of the electrode shall be flush with or below ground level unless the above-ground end and the grounding electrode conductor attachment are protected against physical damage as specified in 250.10.

iwire

Staff member

iwire

Staff member
If you "drive two and go home", what electrical specs will that cover you for?

Certainly there has got to be a time when you exceed the capacity of your default two ground rods embedded 8 ft at 6 ft separation.

Certainly job specs can require more than 'two and go home' but the NEC never requires more than that.

What capacity do you feel is being exceeded and how is it calculated?

cowboyjwc

Staff member

And, in a physical sense, nothing special happens at 96th inch of embedment, that would make 95 inches of embedment significantly insufficient. There's gotta be a continuous function here, relating embedment depth to the required performance as a grounding electrode.
Well you can drive it all the way in and then use a clamp approved for burial, but I don't see that very often. I do agree with your question about why they make an 8 footer.

kwired

Electron manager
And, in a physical sense, nothing special happens at 96th inch of embedment, that would make 95 inches of embedment significantly insufficient.

Probably no significant difference at 94 or even 85 inches, but you have to set a minimum someplace and 8 feet is what they decided. I guess another option is to at least specify a minimum resistance and if that can be achieved with a 2 inch long rod in a specific situation then so be it, but I think they figured it is simpler and gets us "good enough" in most cases to just go with no more then two 8 foot rods. If it isn't good enough chances are a third doesn't make it significantly better either.

Carultch

Certainly job specs can require more than 'two and go home' but the NEC never requires more than that.

What capacity do you feel is being exceeded and how is it calculated?

I'm thinking high amperage services, like 4000A. Or maybe high fault currents, or high voltages. It might also relate to the soil properties, instead of the service electrical specs.

I'm not familiar with what property of a service defines the required amount of Earth bonding, but I would like to know how to anticipate "uncharted territory" for which "two and go home" will not be enough. It very well could be, that this is an unrealistic situation to expect.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm thinking high amperage services, like 4000A. Or maybe high fault currents, or high voltages. It might also relate to the soil properties, instead of the service electrical specs.

I'm not familiar with what property of a service defines the required amount of Earth bonding, but I would like to know how to anticipate "uncharted territory" for which "two and go home" will not be enough. It very well could be, that this is an unrealistic situation to expect.

Grounding electrodes are not about clearing faults. If a rod is the only available electrode doesn't matter if you have 100 amps of service or 4000 amps of service, that rod (plus a supplemental rod if you don't want to measure resistance) is good enough for either application as a grounding elecrode.

An acceptable 25 ohm rod installation will not let enough current flow to even trip a 15 amp breaker. Even @ 277 volts the 25 ohm rod only lets about 11 amps of current flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.