1/2" thick breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronson

will 1/2" {thin} breakers pass inspection? they came with a GE panel for a remodel. they are first i have seen this thin. used to using thicker 1" breakers.

hurk27

Re: 1/2" thick breakers

Yes as they are listed for that panel. But heres one note on them I have experience a lot of failures with the 20 amp and above with that type of breaker because of the very small contact area that the breaker makes with the main buss. With those breakers they just wont go into any space and they are considered a CTL type breaker so as far as the NEC goes it should pass. But I don't use them. I have had to change out many of them with a full size tandem that GE make as a replacement. or a certified breaker that Cutler Hammer makes but those have been a problem for us especially in locations with a high ambient moisture level in the air like laundry rooms.

ronson

thanks for replies. wayne, what is a ctl breaker? will cutler hammer interchange with GE? i have used cutler hammer alot with only finding one bad breaker. this is first time with GE.

hurk27

Ronson
For info on "CTL" and "NC" Tandem breakers go here
And Here

As far as Cuttler Hammer goes, they make a breaker that is classifide by UL to be used in GE panels. If you look inbetween each 1/2 breaker you will see the buss stub out for a regular breaker to fit onto. If you use a full size two-pole (240 volt) breaker this is where it will connect to.

ronson

wayne, what do letters "ctl" & "nc" represent? looked at what you referred me to & couldn't figure out letters.

ronson

thanks wayne. here's new post. inspector showed today. he said i would have to swap out "slimline" breakers. he said city didn't allow me to use "slimlines" because i might use all 40 spaces. just looked up in my 99 nec, sec 384-15 & it says max of 42 spaces. end of cardboard box that panelbox came in from ge says 40 spaces for 1/2" breakers or 20 spaces for 1" breakers. could there have been a problem with these "slimline" breakers catching fire in the past?

russ

My mistake that's an article on current limiting not circuit terminal limiting.

Sorry about that, Ill get rid of it.

[ March 05, 2004, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: russ ]

ronson

russ, is "circuit terminal limiting" what "ctl" stands for?

[ March 06, 2004, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: ronson ]

bill addiss

ronson,

It sounds like your Inspector may be confused. Because of the special way that these particular breakers plug in there's no way that you could use more than the panel was designed for.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.