1/2 " 90deg EMT connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave50

Gentlemen does anyone know if 90deg connectors (pull type w/ access plate) can be used in a tight location in lieu of a 90 bend. That location will be in a corner against a wall. The EMT will contain (2)2 conductor fire wires Please advise
Code:

GG

Re: 1/2 " 90deg EMT connectors

Sounds like an LR or LL would work great.
BODY_LL_THRD.jpg

[ June 15, 2005, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: GG ]

tx2step

"Jake Ells" (pulling elbows, see http://www.bptfittings.com/catalog/51dc2.shtml ) work OK and are usually less expensive than condulets (LB's, LL's or LR's, etc.).

The wire pulls/feeds at a different angle than with a condulet, though, so make sure you have room to remove the access plate and pull the wire in.

The bending radius of the wire will also be a little tighter with a Jake Ell, so don't damage the wire.

[ June 15, 2005, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: tx2step ]

dave50

Thanks Guys's You are right the elbows are less costly than condulets. However, with the elbows and emt installed the elbow cover is against the wall. No problem since the (2) 18ga fire cables can be pulled in and out of the connector. The question is that installation with, the cover plate not being easily accessable, a code violation. Please advise Thanks

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

If the fitting is in an inside corner with the cover inaccessible, then it is a violation. Go with the LL or LR.

mdshunk

I have torn out old pull ells that had the cover on the side (but they weren't an LL or LR). They were like a regular pulling ell, just with the cover on the side. It runs in my mind that they were Crouse-Hinds brand, but a quick check in their catalog comes up empty. Might be one of those weird things that was only made for a spell.

mdshunk

That's the type I saw. I can honestly say that I've never had a situation where I thought I needed to use one.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by charlie tuna:
i have seen people actually use a 1/2" angle greenfield connector in some situations!!
Then you will really like this 1/2" to 3/4" 'adapter'.

changeover1.jpg

changeover2.jpg

charlie tuna

lectricman,
anyone who would use that fitting in this application probibly doesn't own a three quarter knockout or hole saw!

Status
Not open for further replies.