Zips tie locknut

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
All I found was service disco need to be in readily accessible location but nothing about service disco enclosure in NEC 2014.

So lets say I place my service disco in accessible location locked electric room with key. Now the service disco enclosure itself in locked electric room, Can I place zips tie or lock on the service disconnect enclosure so that in opening them requires tools?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is nothing that says you cannot secure the cover closed in a manner that would require tools to open it, as long as the disconnect can be operated without the use of tools.

This issue only occurs with disconnects (saftey switches).

f a breaker is used as a service disconnect, you will always need tools to remove the cover and gain access to the interior of the enclosure.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
There is nothing that says you cannot secure the cover closed in a manner that would require tools to open it, as long as the disconnect can be operated without the use of tools.

This issue only occurs with disconnects (saftey switches).

f a breaker is used as a service disconnect, you will always need tools to remove the cover and gain access to the interior of the enclosure.

What about NEC 2014 section 240.24(A) overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible? That would prevent one from placing locknut or zip tie requiring tools to be installed?

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
What about NEC 2014 section 240.24(A) overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible? That would prevent one from placing locknut or zip tie requiring tools to be installed?
Reading 101 !
That's not what it says!
(A) Accessibility. Switches containing fuses and circuit breakers shall be readily accessible
The switch or circuit breaker shall be readily accessible !
(not the fuse)

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Reading 101 !
That's not what it says!
(A) Accessibility. Switches containing fuses and circuit breakers shall be readily accessible
The switch or circuit breaker shall be readily accessible !
(not the fuse)

Okay I don’t have NEC 2014 on me but You sure that what it says in NEC 2014 version of section 240.24(A)?

If so I apologize but I remember what post #4 said NEC 2014 :(

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Wording in '14 is somewhat different in that if you read the entire paragraph as it discusses the accessibility it states the handle of the switch or circuit breaker.....
'17 does clarify it

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Wording in '14 is somewhat different in that if you read the entire paragraph as it discusses the accessibility it states the handle of the switch or circuit breaker.....
'17 does clarify it

Okay I don’t have NEC 2014 so did google this site explains it says NEC 2014 section 240.24(A) overcurrent devices need to be readily accessible but then code change was done NEC 2017:

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
This is almost a duplicate to this thread..........

Please don't start multiple threads on the same subject or question. It is confusing to the readers and won't get you any more or different answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.