Yacht two generators with common neutral and bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoatEletrician

New User
Occupation
Boat Electrician
The following thread may be useful to help to resolve this case :
[URL='https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/multiple-generators-with-common-neutral.101753/']Multiple Generators with Common Neutral
[/URL]

forums.mikeholt….com
/threads/multiple-generators-with-common-neutral.101753/
On Feb 16 2013

===========================

On a marine application, a yacht using two generators ( not connected in parallel), to feed 7 separate circuit panels, separated disconnects but common neutral.

Both generators have their neutral connected to their own frame, and to the whole yacht common neutral; also frames are interconnected by the grounding system of the vessel.

Would be comparable to two generators running on different houses between two neighbors, as grounds ( but no directly neutrals) are connected by earth grounding bars.

——-

On the yacht the air conditioning system, is composed by 3 chillers and 12 remote fans, each fan has its own independent temperature controls for its cooling zone. (regulating the motor speed through ballasts); fans and chillers are feed from different panels.

Somehow on panel #4 (which can be manually switched to be feed by generator#1 or generator #2 ) there are on the same circuit, two fans with one single-phase motor each; those motors stall, and cannot re-start, they get blocked, cogging (not been able to begin rotating with a buzzing sound).

I don’t know why would motors stall ( except that the temperature regulators pauses them, or reduces speed to low).
Single-phase motors cannot re-start if there is :
1. Low voltage or high frequency ( the two generators may have up to 1 hz difference), as the starting torque is proportional to Volt/Frequency.
2. Start capacitor failure; but this two capacitor is in good working conditions).
Randomly those two single-phase motors work well.

Above situation ONLY occurs when both generators are working; It doesn’t happen with only one generator is working; also it doesn’t happens when the yacht is connected to shore power (utility from the dock).
I haven’t tried with some panels connected to one generator, and other panels connected to the utility at the dock.

Other fan motors connected to separate panels are not showing same problem.

This SIMULTANEOUS cogging happens only in this two fans, on the same circuit, from the same panel, from any of the two generators, and only when the two generators are working.

Would this situation ( low starting voltage & cogging) be caused by different potential between the two generator’ neutrals ?.
These generators are not paralleled, so even if they are not rotating synchronically, and having different phase angle, the electrons sharing the same neutral conductors shall seek only its own source generator, and not circulate through the other generator.

Or could it be a harmonics or frequency caused problem… but only on those two motors, from the same panel out of 12 fans connected to different panels ?

=====================
Rarely, On 3-phase motors, cogging or crawling ( low starting torque) could be caused by the harmonics 5th or 7th, producing a Counter-Torque, and consequent stalling.

But i DON’T KNOW, if this could alSO happen on single-phase motors 208 VAC, 60 Hz; I read that on single-phase motors, the 3rd harmonics are relevant, but I DON’T KNOW, relevant for what? .

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If you have two separate generators feeding two separate sets of loads, it is exactly like two generators at two separate houses, connected together by the common ground/utility neutral.

The problem that you describe implies some unidentified connection between different generators for the circuit in question. For example the circuit could be 'bootlegged' to the hot of a different circuit from a different panel.

It might be a gross wiring error or an insulation fault, or a control system making the connection between the two circuits.

I'd suggest looking for some way to monitor the voltage which would be applied to the motors (with the motors disconnected so they don't get burned) in the situation where they won't start as compared to the situation where they do start. Also check the voltage across the capacitors to see if that is different. You might want an oscilloscope to be able to monitor rapid variations in voltage.

Once you see how the voltage at the motors _change_ between working and not working you will have a better idea of what to look for.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.