YACCQ - Yet another career change question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a Software Analyst / Developer for about ten years now and I am pretty much burnt out on the industry as a whole.

I'm starting to begin research on becoming a Licensed Electrician (residential wiring only) and I know the next logical step would be to contact my local union and see what they have in terms of apprenticeship programs.

There is never a good time to change careers in the middle of your life and unfortunately I have financially obligations that makes taking a "helpers wage" rather unrealistic. And yet doing this and becoming licensed is really a key element of what I can see as my "dream job".

I tried asking my father, a mason, for advice in this regard but he thinks I'm losing my sanity because I want to give up a "cushy desk job that pays better".

I know this is not the proper forum for this type of topic but after searching google for several hours it seemed my best shot.

Any comments / advice would be most welcome,

R. Joe Reich

peter d

Re: YACCQ - Yet another career change question...

Being an electrician is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers out there.

However, if taking an apprentice wage is unrealistic, then your goal of becoming an electrician is unrealistic. :roll: That is a choice you will have to make.

dillon3c

Joe sir,
I remeber growing up in my father's home.He was a Plumber & Pipe Fitter by trade at American Tobacco Company.I remeber as a "pup",Mom and Dad telling me, wagging there finger, "son never stick ANYTHING in these two small holes in the wall".. Being a hard-headed tot,I did..Made me eyes open pretty darn wide.From that day,It's always interested me,never regreted.Oh, and by the way,I have two(2) brothers,they heeded Mom and Dads advice..They took up Plumbing..(grin'in)

[ January 26, 2005, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by petersonra:
listen to your dad.

:roll:
BTW - I do not mean to suggest you should not follow your dreams, but if you are unable to forsake a well paying desk job for a much lower paying (and physically demanding) job for a few years, you are not in a position to become an apprentice in any of the trades. Your dad seems to know this, and is trying to give you good advice.

chjhnsn

I am 43yrs old and taking a home study course and reading whatever I can so I can change careers to be an electrician. I can continue working and still study. The course I am taking is logically sequenced to learn the trade and it is less difficult if you already have some working knowledge of electrical (I had some schooling in electrical in college). I have learned a lot and have had wrong understandings corrected. I am currently studying the NEC but there have been some actual projects assigned that are 'hands on' too. Some may look down on these courses but this one has really helped me to gain understanding and confidence. If you really want to pursue it arrange to reduce your debts and obligations - drive an older vehicle - sell some things. I'd say if you really desire to be an electrician and can plan ahead to rearrange your finances, do it. Keep your current job for now and enroll in a home study/online course and test it out. Keep involved in this forum too, it offers some good advice and ideas.

ken987

most union A book apprentice programs pay pretty good to start. When I was inquiring about the program it was like 11.50 an hour here in central NJ. And as you progresses you move up pretty good about 1.50 every 6 months.

BTW - I do not mean to suggest you should not follow your dreams, but if you are unable to forsake a well paying desk job for a much lower paying (and physically demanding) job for a few years, you are not in a position to become an apprentice in any of the trades.
I think you misunderstand my father's sentiment. I think it is more along the lines of him not understanding *why* rather than willingness.

As for the financial concerns, I'm looking into options of moonlighting as a programmer for 20 hours a week or so to suppliment the 66% paycut it's looking to be an apprentice.

And yet, it's still interesting as hell.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

from what i understand about the study requirements of some electrical apprentice programs you may well have to spend 10-20 hours a week of book work on top of the time spent at work.

I doubt the idea of a 20 hour/week job on top of a FT job plus school is going to be attractive.

the other guys who suggested reducing your expenses probably have a better idea.

jeff43222

I have been in your shoes and have gone down the road you are thinking about taking. I used to be a corporate cubicle slave as a computer guy. I hated it. I did what I had to do and became a licensed master electrician and contractor. I do mainly residential remodeling/upgrade/repair work on old houses. A few reality checks:

* The work can be satisfying and interesting, but it can also be frustrating and unpleasant. Today I came home exhausted, filthy, and sore because of a short, easy job that turned into a marathon in frustration. This week I also had a job in a house that was a complete mess, where the owners were smoking all the time and playing the most annoying music on the planet. Next week I'm doing a repair/upgrade in an unheated garage (I live in Minnesota). I often have to crawl around attics with blown-in insulation and nails sticking out everywhere. It's unusual if I finish a job without getting bruised or bloody at some point. This line of work is not cushy by any means.

* Work is not always plentiful. According to an article I saw in the local paper not long ago, the local IBEW chapters have hundreds of licensed journeymen who are out of work. As far as I can tell, there is no shortage of electricians in my area. Maybe there is where you are, but I doubt it. Also, there are plenty of people out there doing electrical work but who aren't licensed to do it. These handymen often undercut the market. Doctors and lawyers don't generally have to worry about having to compete with unlicensed people, but we do.

* Most of the stuff you learn to become a licensed electrician is interesting and important, but on the job you do wind up spending quite a bit of time doing things that aren't interesting or even all that electrical. Just today I spent a whole bunch of time cutting and measuring flexible conduit, mounting boxes, cutting precise holes in existing walls, figuring out routes to run wire, tacking up cable and conduit supports, and pulling a lot of conduit and cable through insulation and over lots of unseen obstacles. All of that stuff is necessary in my job, but it's probably not what you think of when you think about doing electrical work. Only at the very end of a very long day did I actually get to the fun part -- connecting the wires and making the magic happen.

This line of work can be enjoyable and satisfying, and plenty of people in this forum have already said they like what they do and don't regret the career choice they made. Despite the hardships, I also like being an electrician. But it's not for everyone. Many of my clients clearly would rather have me do the work than do it themselves. I just wanted to suggest that, if you decide to pursue this career, you have some idea as to what you're getting yourself into. I'm sure some people have gone into it and wound up hating it. Probably not too many on this forum, though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.