XLPE listed under PV article of NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Company has a cable they are trying to use between output 4800 volts from a transformer (utility pole mount like) And feeding Primary to another step down transformer for 480 volts 3 phase Secondary output

The cable markings are XLPE 100/insul level MV-90 (UL) Genken 2 AWG 15KV

However when I tried to identify this cable in NEC book all I can find is XLPE listed under solar PV article for 143 amperes. When I researched manufactures I was told PV photo voltaic solar cable only goes up to 2000 volts.

Apparently cable is listed for underground burial. But can it be used as a service or feeder as described?

Attachments

• 2B4A7272-C98E-4EB0-BB3C-86D7C7510108.jpeg
    2B4A7272-C98E-4EB0-BB3C-86D7C7510108.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 13

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
MV-90 is referred to throughout the tables in Article 311.

Although it's not clearly stated, I believe that the reference in 690 you mention is only intended to apply to PV system DC circuits, and is therefore not relevant to anything connected to a transformer.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Wow thanks that’s a great spec sheet. However, I still can’t get the ampacity at temp rating for this conductor anywhere. You would think the spec sheet you uploaded would have it?

I’m thinking 1,000 KVA transformer 3 phase will have about 120 volts on primary XLPE 2 AWG 15KV cable mentioned, since:

1,000,000 VA transformer out secondary of first transformer / 4,800 volts x 1.732 (3phase) = 120i amperes

So after temp correction XLPE cable must be able to carry atleast 120 amperes? Do we need apply 1.25% additional ampacity to cable?

Does this seem right? Thanks

pv_n00b

Can't tell much from that photo, it is focused on the background and not the cable. NEC 311 has all the tables for MV cable ampacity. You need the voltage rating (15kV), temperature rating (MV-90), material (Cu or Al), and how it will be installed to get the conditions of use. If it's identified for use in direct sunlight then it can be used for a drop. Typically the conductor will drop from the pole, go underground, and come up in the XFMR pad.
NEC tables 311.60(C)(69) or (70) for the base ampacity in air.

Status
Not open for further replies.