Xfrmr Grounded to Bldg. Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Anyne have a jobsite pic of the ground from the xfmr going ot building steel? Like to see how th ebuilding steel connection is made. Cadlwed? Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We drill and tap the steel and use a hub on the end of the raceway. For a beam with a very thin flange we might drill a through hole and nut and bolt it. Cadwelding would only be if someone had it in the spec. I'll have to see if I have any photo's of the drilled steel.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
We drill and tap the steel and use a hub on the end of the raceway. For a beam with a very thin flange we might drill a through hole and nut and bolt it. Cadwelding would only be if someone had it in the spec. I'll have to see if I have any photo's of the drilled steel.
Thanks. A Myers hub or one with a flat piece?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Use pvc and you will not need the hub. Mechanical lug bolted to the beam. (BTW, building steel is no longer considered a grounding electrode unless it is bonded to the rebar in the slab)

kwired

Electron manager
Use pvc and you will not need the hub. Mechanical lug bolted to the beam. (BTW, building steel is no longer considered a grounding electrode unless it is bonded to the rebar in the slab)
Or has 10 feet or more in contact with earth or encased in concrete and in earth. Building steel not connected to earth in any way was never a grounding electrode.

anthonysolino

check out 250.30(A)(4) this tells you your building steel is in fact a grounding electrode for a separatly derived system
I think the common practice is to drill a hole in it, nut and bolt it with lock washers via a lug.

anthonysolino

the transformer does and I personally take a wire wheel on my impact and sand the building steel down to expose the raw metal, then when I am done with my termination I spray it with zinc primer and throw a little no lox on there
but yes typically the "red iron" has some sort of coated finish,

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Or has 10 feet or more in contact with earth or encased in concrete and in earth. Building steel not connected to earth in any way was never a grounding electrode.
Had one inspector years ago in the City of Atlanta make use bond to the steel plate holding the wood beams together! LOL! Sherman missed burning it down when he came through Atlanta, old furniture factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.