XFMR and Service Entry Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suyash599

Occupation
PV Design Engineer
There is a 1200A 208V panelboard downstream from the 300 kVA transformer. My PV system to be connected at 300 kW AC is 1040.90A at 208V. It is hot sequence metering so can I tap downstream from the meter on the service entry conductors to come out to a independent 1200A gear for solar?

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You should be able to, but there is a list of maybes that would apply to a specific installation.

paulengr

There is a 1200A 208V panelboard downstream from the 300 kVA transformer. My PV system to be connected at 300 kW AC is 1040.90A at 208V. It is hot sequence metering so can I tap downstream from the meter on the service entry conductors to come out to a independent 1200A gear for solar?

You are feeding a 300 kVA transformer with a 300 kw load at 1.0 PF and some (low) harmonics. No consideration for harmonics or losses. I realize PV always over promises and under-delivers but my gut says go up one size to 500 kVA

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I realize PV always over promises and under-delivers but my gut says go up one size to 500 kVA
If a solar integrator intentionally does that they are guilty of trade deception. I can only speak for the company I work for, but we monitor what we install, and our systems consistently deliver more than what we have told the customers they would. We try to always under promise and over deliver. My guess is that you are not involved in the PV industry; what is the source of the information upon which you have based your statement?

For a 300kW AC PV system and a 300kVA utility transformer I do not see any reason to upsize the transformer unless the POCO has an objection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.