Wrapping Beams

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
"What about some sort of wireway for the run on the bottom of the beam."

I agree. Such as 4x4 trough, or wiremold 400. Single cover, no pipe in between to muck around with during pull.

This looks like your best option. I think I’ve seen trough as small as 3x3. I’ve never seen Wiremold I would use outdoors. Use outdoor rated trough. Mount to beam with a 1/4 x 20 beam clamp on each end.

Use stranded wire. About $10 extra per roll but much easier to pull.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
To me, wrapping every beam for 400' is ridiculous. I repeat my previous suggestion to look for the nearest vertical surface or row of columns. Those beams can't be so long that an alternative to wrapping is out of the question.

How does the vertical surface or row of columns help?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Without dimensions hard to help, but I’d shoot for this.
Thank you AK, I just saw this. So you would bend around the beam and then half way up between bottom of beam and slab you put a C conduit body? Seem like bending would be an obvious solution so not sure that could be done. Also, what purpose does the C conduit body serve at that loction? THanks again.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How does the vertical surface or row of columns help?
That would give you a straight line to follow without having to route the conduit up against the bottom of the deck between every pair of beams. What do the ends of the beams rest on?

The first two pic show notches cast into the beams for conduits. I'm surprised if yours don't have them:

1589555670513.jpeg
images

The rest all show straight surfaces at the ends of the beams:

MilwaukeeParkingDeck.png

1589555895598.jpeg
images

images
1589555929053.jpeg
images
images

AKElectrician

Thank you AK, I just saw this. So you would bend around the beam and then half way up between bottom of beam and slab you put a C conduit body? Seem like bending would be an obvious solution so not sure that could be done. Also, what purpose does the C conduit body serve at that loction? THanks again.
I would use the c condulet or a box as a restart for 360 degrees.
2 bends for the beam one at the lid fly down bend, straight pull point. That way you can pull straight through a couple pull points while being legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.