"WR" label still required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
Just perusing some prices for a Weather Resistant (WR) rated receptacle... I've recently read that the "WR" must be visible on the receptacle and all the references to code that I can find on this are form 2008-2011... but I can't find the same reference in my 2014 NEC...

Obviously the receptacle still has to be Weather Resistant for outdoors, but is it still required to have the "WR" stamp on the front face so that it's visible? Or did they remove this requirement in 2014?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The marking is required by the product standard, so it really does not need to be in the NEC.
From the UL Guide Information for "Receptacles for Plugs and Attachment Plugs (RTRT)"
Weather-resistant Receptacle — Receptacles for use in wet and damp locations in accordance with Article 406 of the NEC. Weather-resistant receptacles are identified by the words "Weather Resistant" (or the letters "WR") where they will be visible after installation with the cover plate secured as intended.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
2020 NEC -----406.4 D 6 says weather resistant receptacles shall be used when replacing and 406.9 B 1 has the language for using a WR receptacle with a note to an NEMA standard, but I don't see the WR abbreviation used at all

Jerramundi

Occupation
The marking is required by the product standard, so it really does not need to be in the NEC.
From the UL Guide Information for "Receptacles for Plugs and Attachment Plugs (RTRT)"
So this is a UL listing requirement? Not an NEC requirement?

Here is one example of what I'm talking about that I came across when perusing Home Depot products:

It explicitly says "UL Listed devices must have a “WR” marking clearly visible when installed" and they list this as a bullet point under NEC 406.8 (2008).
I can't find anything like this in the 2014 NEC. Requiring the Weather Resistant receptacle, yes. Requiring the "WR" marking to be "visible after installation," no.

I've found "WR" stamped receptacles, but they are almost twice as much as the cost of other "Weather Resistant" receptacles that do not feature a marking that would be visible post installation.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Nothing in the 2008 NEC, 406.8, has any such marking requirement. It just says the receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant type.
Appreciate the clarification. All the sources I've found on this seem to quote either the 2008 NEC or the 2011 NEC and I only have the 2014 NEC.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Would you then consider this to be enforceable?

Would this technically be a code violation if the receptacle is listed as "Weather Resistant" (explicitly required by the NEC), but doesn't bare the markings "Weather Resistant" or the "WR" abbreviation as required by the product standard??

GerryB

Would this technically be a code violation if the receptacle is listed as "Weather Resistant" (explicitly required by the NEC), but doesn't bare the markings "Weather Resistant" or the "WR" abbreviation as required by the product standard??
Interesting post. So then you couldn't use a gfi breaker and regular duplex receptacles. I don't think they are WR rated. The WR stamp hasn't been around that long, certainly not since 2008 that I recall.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I've found "WR" stamped receptacles, but they are almost twice as much as the cost of other "Weather Resistant" receptacles that do not feature a marking that would be visible post installation.

Looking through the Leviton catalog, for instance, and all their Weather Resistant devices have "WR" on the faces. So the question is who makes the other weather resistant devices that don't have markings that you are looking at? If they are half the price I suspect they are made by the Happy Sun Fortune Cookie and Electrical Co, LTD.

-Hal

paulengr

Now you have to install weatherproof (resistant?) while in use enclosures regardless of the receptacle and GFCI somewhere. Maybe WR has been superseded since it’s now an enclosure thing?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
No. Outside receptacles need to be WR. That only means that they are made with corrosion resistant materials. I suspect that a WR GFCI receptacle will have a conformal coating on the circuit board also. In-use covers don't keep the moisture out and GFCIs have nothing to do with it. WR is just a better made receptacle to stand up to outdoor use because moisture is a problem.

-Hal

Jerramundi

Occupation
Looking through the Leviton catalog, for instance, and all their Weather Resistant devices have "WR" on the faces. So the question is who makes the other weather resistant devices that don't have markings that you are looking at? If they are half the price I suspect they are made by the Happy Sun Fortune Cookie and Electrical Co, LTD.

-Hal
If I ever reboot my company, I'm stealing that name, lol.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

In that case it is not actually listed as a weather resistant receptacle as the listing standard requires the marking.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In that case it is not actually listed as a weather resistant receptacle as the listing standard requires the marking.
However If at some point the listing standard changed, then IMHO units manufactured and listed under the old standard can still be used. If manufactured after the standard changed there is the possibility of a counterfeit UL label.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
However If at some point the listing standard changed, then IMHO units manufactured and listed under the old standard can still be used. If manufactured after the standard changed there is the possibility of a counterfeit UL label.

As far as I know, when the standard was revised to include the requirements for WR receptacles, those new requirements included the marking requirement.

Jerramundi

Occupation

Interesting thought. By that logic, would that not mean that, for example, your standard EMT compression fittings manufactured before they were delisted for use in a wet location could then be used in a wet location?

Seems like a bit of a stretch to attempt to apply older listing requirements, even if the product was manufactured when that listing version was acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.