Working Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

erdy7821

In the 1999 NEC figure 110.9 shows the front working clearance measured from the wall. The 2002 NEC shows the front working clearance Exhibit 110.10 measured from the left or right side of the equipment being worked on. Both say the measurement can be made from the left or right side of the equipment. Does the space being measured go from the wall, or the equipment being worked on?

Re: Working Clearance

I didn't see any such figure in my 99 code book (perhaps you are referring to an illustrated code book) , but 110-26(1) states "Distances shall be measured fromt the .....enclosure front". To me that means that you need a minimum of 36" from the front of a panel to the opposite wall. Does this help?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

It looks like you are talking about the width of the working space in front of the equipment. The width must be as wide as the equipment and centered on the equipment for panels wider than 30". For panels less than 30" width, you must still have a 30" wide working space. You can center this space on the panel (so a 20" wide panel would have 5" of space on either side), or you can slide it as much as you want to either side so a 20" wide panel would have 10" on one side and 0" on the other side.

Steve

drmoody

Exhibit 110.10 in the 2002 handbook is illustrating the width of working space. Working depth is explained in article 110.26(A)(1), Table 126(A)(1), and exhibit 110.7 in the handbook. Depth is definitely measured from the side in which electrical parts will be accessed?usually the front. If you?re looking for width of working space, see 110.26(A)(2), exhibit 110.10, and Steve?s reply.

Brian

wireman

Inactive, Email Never Verified

Can someone plainly explain the depth requirement for 110.26(A)(1)?

If I have a 480VAC panelboard and a combination starter mounted side by side (each are 6 inches deep), is it OK to run a 4 inch deep wireway underneath it? Assume the backs of each device are mounted to a wall.

Thanks

ryan_618

Wireman: The section that governs this is actually 110.26(A)(3). Read the last sentance carefully.

In my opinion, the depth of the working space is still measured from the panel/starter and not the wireway beneath it, as the panel/starter is the equipment requiring the working space, not the wireway.

Does this answer your question?

drmoody

Yes, you may install your 4? wireway underneath the panel and starter. This wireway is installed in the ?Dedicated Electrical Space?. It's no different than conduits terminating at your panel and starter. See 110.26(F)(1)(a).

Brian

[ March 04, 2004, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: drmoody ]

wireman

Inactive, Email Never Verified

TO:
ryan_618
Member # 4050

Yes, your answer cleared it up perfectly. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.