Working as an LLE in the city of Knoxville

jeff48356

I reside in Michigan where I hold a Master Electrician license, but I also hold a Tennessee LLE (Journeyman) license. I travel to TN occasionally to do electrical projects for a building contractor that I used to work with regularly. I used to have a CE (electrical contractor/Master) license when I lived in Tennessee. During that time, I was required to have the CE license in order to work in the city limits of Knoxville. Are there any workarounds for that rule, such as passing a city-administered electrical exam?

The building contractor I work with informed me of a project within the city limits, but I told him I am unable to work there due to the restrictions (if this is still the case).

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I reside in Michigan where I hold a Master Electrician license, but I also hold a Tennessee LLE (Journeyman) license. I travel to TN occasionally to do electrical projects for a building contractor that I used to work with regularly. I used to have a CE (electrical contractor/Master) license when I lived in Tennessee. During that time, I was required to have the CE license in order to work in the city limits of Knoxville. Are there any workarounds for that rule, such as passing a city-administered electrical exam?

The building contractor I work with informed me of a project within the city limits, but I told him I am unable to work there due to the restrictions (if this is still the case).
Augie47 where are you??????

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm not 100% sure as I haven't kept up as I used to but I think Knoxville has an "E" electrical license which is based on TN's LLE for work under $25,000.

To confirm, you can reach them at: tel: 865 215 3669