WORKBENCH AND GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pknapp

DOES THE CODE REQUIRE RECEPTACLES MOUNTED TO A WORKBENCH TO BE GFCI PROTECTED EVEN IF NOT IN A WET LOCATION?

ron

Re: WORKBENCH AND GFCI?

Generically, if it is located in a residential garage, basement, outdoors, crawl space or boathouse, then yes they are required.
There are other factors too, so you will need to give more information.

bphgravity

GFCI protection has less to do with areas near or at wet locations than it does with the types of utilization equipment that could be used there by persons. Workbenches are areas of handtool use and cord-and-plug connected equipment. In this case, do to the personal contact a person has with these items, GFCI protection is certainly a good choice.

ken44

Is this workbench in the category of a Special Occupancy. I wired my friends storage shed which fell under the category of "manufactured buildings" in the Special Occupancy section of the NEC and a gfci is only required inside if the building is at or below grade level. The building I wired is above grade level so a gfci is not required. However I did install an individual branch circuit with a gfci opposite the workbench so that he would have a choice for personal protection. I did not install gfci's on the workbench due to the type of equipment he will be using so that it will elimate nuisance tripping.

iwire

Staff member

Ken describe this building a little more, if you had to install outlets is it really a manufactured building?

Manufactured Building. Any building that is of closed construction and is made or assembled in manufacturing facilities on or off the building site for installation, or for assembly and installation on the building site, other than manufactured homes, mobile homes, park trailers, or recreational vehicles.
Closed Construction. Any building, building component, assembly, or system manufactured in such a manner that all concealed parts of processes of manufacture cannot be inspected before installation at the building site without disassembly, damage, or destruction.

luke warmwater

Ken, got any pics of this building???

I can't picture how this is a special occupancy so that GFCI's would not be required.
Todd

pierre

210.8(A)(2) Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor located at or below grade level not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and areas of similar use

The storage shed would in my opinion fall into the category of accessory building and would require GFCI protection for the 125 Volt 15 and 20 ampere rated receptacles in that 'shed'.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.