Wisconsin Master Electrician Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli1211

Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone recently taken the WI Master Electrician Exam? I am taking it this Wednesday and just trying to get an idea of what to expect. I am a WI licensed Journeyman Electrician. The WI Journeyman test was basically all code reference questions. I have been studying for the past few months, so I am well prepared. I have been told the Master Exam is mostly calculation based questions with 2 or 3 step processes to them. Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

Eli1211

Occupation
Electrician
I am replying to my own post here, simply because I see people are taking a look at it. I am hoping the zero replies is due to the fact that zero people who looked at the post have recently taken the WI Master Electrician Exam. For anyone that may have the same question that I had, I just took the WI Master Exam this past Wednesday. Roughly 75 percent of the exam I received was calculations based. Half of the 75 percent were 2 step processes, with the other half being single step. The other roughly 25 percent of questions were code reference questions, which, were made more difficult by the question giving you 4 options and you having to figure out the one out of the 4 that is either true or false with regard to the question being asked. A lot of motor calc questions, rec vehicle park questions, closet lighting requirements, new construction lighting/receptacle load calcs in different spaces with number of receptacle known vs. unknown, etc...study up on your calcs! Hope this helps someone!

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
I just got the results of my masters test( my second) and failed again, thought I studied up on cals. But not enough. Really stinks.

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

Eli1211

Occupation
Electrician
That does stink! All one can do is keep studying and take another shot at it. As I am sure you know, not too many people pass it the first time around. At least not the people I know that have taken it. I am still awaiting my results. I feel like I did well enough to pass, but you never know. I wouldn't be shocked if I failed. However, if I am not even close, I would be highly disappointed, as I feel like I did decently. We will see. I'll post whether I passed or failed when I get the results.

superdave02

Occupation
Electrical Consultant
You must over prepare! I use mostly Mike Holt materials, I use their on line quizzes, other free on line quizzes, and if there is a local test prep class I'll usually take it. I don't use any apps while in the field and constantly break out the code book at work. Purchase the Tom Henry highlighted and tabbed code book and use it for your tests. I've been fortunate to take and pass five state tests with no fails. Over prepare!

Eli1211

Occupation
Electrician
I passed!! Good luck to everyone who plans on taking it! Know your code book, study up on your calcs, and you will do great!

CRV2021

New User
Occupation
Engineer
I need help, guys! I have taken already twice the Master Electrician exam and failed. The first time I did not study much. I knew about 60% of the questions in the exam and I failed by three questions. The second time, I overstudied. I am an engineer, so I can do calculations pretty fast, but I still failed by 1 question. Having done hard things in my life both academically and professionally, I did not expect that having known during the exam how to answer every question, I would still fail.
I used Mike Holt's and Miller's material and checked a bunch of resources online. I am starting to think that Wisconsin rules for the exam are slightly so different that the ones provided by Mike Holt and others in order to provide the correct answer.
Is there a preparation class that I need to take that you can recommend me, specifically for Wisconsin? Or is there a book that I should also get besides the ones I have mentioned.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am sure there are prep course. Since Eli1211 passed last year and he still seems to be around send him a conversation (private message) and maybe he can help

Eli1211

Occupation
Electrician
I used Ray Holders WI Master Electrician book to study. Along, with some free test questions I found online. Good luck to you.

HutchElectric

It's been a few years since I took and passed it here in Wisconsin, but I remember a good portion of the questions were actually trick questions and you needed to reference the SPS 316 to answer them correctly. You have a copy of it, I hope?

Jolted

Joe Hertel and Monte Ewing do an exam prep class. I would recommend it. I didn’t do this exact class, but I did a similar class when all of the state inspectors were involved before I took my journeyman’s (when state wide licensing took effect) it was very helpful for me.

There are two main areas to passing the test. Calculations and knowing where to find things. It sounds like you’ve got the calculations part down. I’d suggest you work on learning the structure of the code and where things are located.

Also, don’t forget about SPS316. I like to print it off and then cut out each section and tape it appropriately in my code book. Monte wrote a lot of those questions and he loves nuances and tripping people up. There are several questions that have answers that would be correct based on the NEC without SPS316.

Status
Not open for further replies.