Wiring switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNamesAvailable

New User
Occupation
Logistics
I had to run a new wire out to our shed. Like a fool, I didn’t take a picture of how the switch was wired to the outlet. Here is what I know:
- The wire for the shed is fed off an outlet on the side of the house
- That wire enters the shed and immediately goes to an outlet
- I have that outlet wired correctly, per two different outlet testers
- There is a ground, black, and white wire that need to somehow get hooked up to that outlet that then powers a switch that operates a light
- Nothing was pigtailed
- The switch and light have worked properly for years and neither were touched during this project
- I think I have tried every possible combination of where to put the black and white wires but am obviously missing something. I have only placed the ground wire on the ground screw.

I can’t believe I am having this much trouble but I need help with where to place each wire.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.