Wiring schematic symbol

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I believe the "X" means that the adjacent contact on that line is closed when the selector is in the position that is labeled above.
But someone else here would need to confirm that to be sure.

mtnelectrical

Thank you guys, I am troubleshooting this conveyor, there were 2 electricians before me and they have relocated and renumbered wires, it is crazy, I just needed confirmation. Well, now I have 2 more wires to relocate. Let's see what happens now

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Really poor way of doing it. Should be labeled "3SS A, B, C with a note that says it's shown in the open position. If that's really what they are trying to say.

What do the three arrows mean??

-Hal

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Really poor way of doing it. Should be labeled "3SS A, B, C with a note that says it's shown in the open position. If that's really what they are trying to say.

What do the three arrows mean??

-Hal
That is the standard JIC wiring diagram symbology for selector switches. JIC standards have gone by the wayside I guess.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have most often seen it as a series of "x" and "o", with "x" for closed an "o" for open. Next to a contact of a 3 position selector switch contact that is closed with the selector in the left position, it would be "xoo" and next to the a contact that is closed in the right position it would be "oox". I have never seen what is shown in this drawing.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I have most often seen it as a series of "x" and "o", with "x" for closed an "o" for open. Next to a contact of a 3 position selector switch contact that is closed with the selector in the left position, it would be "xoo" and next to the a contact that is closed in the right position it would be "oox". I have never seen what is shown in this drawing.

I agree for control circuits, but in switchgear (e.g. utility equipment) circuits it was not uncommon to find the OP's style. Another variation is to have the OP's X's all on one side , under the position arrows, which was easier to read for switches with more than 2 operating positions, kind of like a truth table.

GladMech

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer, Licensed Electrician
I like xoo, oox, etc.
Another really clear way is to actually write "Normal" and "Open" under the appropriate wire.
Sometimes both.

GladMech

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer, Licensed Electrician
I don't know. It was the example circled on the scrap separator schematic above. 3-pos Selector Switch = Normal/Off/Closed
(45 years experience interpreting obscure schematic notations)
Notice there is also a Normal/Tamper/Retract ss. You have to wonder about that one too. If it was a baler I would have spelled it "Tramper".

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This is a year old thread.
Please start a new thread if you would like to continue this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.