Wiring Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Curious of your thoughts on this. (5) 20A circuits per pic going to same panel. Panel schedule says ¾” conduit but that’s boilerplate usually and could mean FMC which is conduit if they want to get cute and say it must be pipe.
Would you run a single run of tubing/pipe conduit to area of loads with the circuits or run MC cable from units to near panel? Panel is about 50' away. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo22478.jpg
    photo22478.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 7

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you run a raceway like tubing (EMT) or conduit (RMC) is there a place to transition to MC cable like in a hung ceiling?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you run a raceway like tubing (EMT) or conduit (RMC) is there a place to transition to MC cable like in a hung ceiling?

What do you mean by "a place" to transition? I usually use a J-box. Not sure that answers you.

As for a "place", either at a wall penetration or fashion a box mount where the conduit ends.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What do you mean by "a place" to transition? I usually use a J-box. Not sure that answers you.

As for a "place", either at a wall penetration or fashion a box mount where the conduit ends.

Meaning is there an accessible hung ceiling location to install the junction box and then run MC cable from there. Could be inaccessible ceilings like drywall.

kwired

Electron manager
Keep in mind if you have 5 two wire branch circuits in a raceway you have 10 conductors and will need to adjust conductor ampacities at 50%. If you are using MWB'C's neutral conductors may or may not count as current carrying conductors for adjustment purposes.

cdslotz

I would estimate it with conduit home run to the area, and MC down to the circuits. I would do this even if the area was 10' away from the panel.
....wouldn't have spent a minute worrying about it on an estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.