Wiring for GFI with EMT Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samardas

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If I am running an EMT conduit for receptacles, do I still need to run a separate ground wire for eah GFI receptacle? Can I connect the ground wire to the conduit locally at every receptacle, considering the EMT conduit to be a ground since it runs all the way to the panel?
Thanks a lot for your help!

480sparky

Pretty basic question.... for someone who puts tools on every morning as opposed to using a computer and large-format printer.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If I am running an EMT conduit for receptacles, do I still need to run a separate ground wire for eah GFI receptacle? Can I connect the ground wire to the conduit locally at every receptacle, considering the EMT conduit to be a ground since it runs all the way to the panel?
Thanks a lot for your help!
Take a look at 250.118 for the different types of EGC's. EMT is on the list {250.118(5)}.

Bluegrass Boy

Occupation
Commercial/ Industrial/ Maintenance Electrician
Pretty basic question. Yes, unless you are really bad at installing conduit.
The first company I worked for did a big job out of state. They hired a local as an apprentice. It was all compression fittings and emt. Come to find out, after thousands of feet of pipe run, the electrician noticed the apprentice playing with several compression rings, and inquired. The apprentice was “ having trouble “ getting the pipe into the couplings and connectors and removed ALL of the compression rings from the fittings. Hundreds of them. Oh my! Lol!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
And you don't always need to bond receptacle to box, example if using a raised cover with crush corners. On the jobs where I ran EMT without an EGC, and raised covers, I still installed a bonding jumper to the box. If its raised cover in a finished wall, you can use a SG receptacle with out a bonding jumper, but you lose the bond path if someone replaces the SG with non SG.
If I was running EMT in an exposed location, I would alway run an EGC.

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The first company I worked for did a big job out of state. They hired a local as an apprentice. It was all compression fittings and emt. Come to find out, after thousands of feet of pipe run, the electrician noticed the apprentice playing with several compression rings, and inquired. The apprentice was “ having trouble “ getting the pipe into the couplings and connectors and removed ALL of the compression rings from the fittings. Hundreds of them. Oh my! Lol!
I did a job at my granddaughters (I am retired) and I used diecast EMT connectors, can get them at our Habitat store for pennies each.

retirede

Discovered before or after the wire was pulled?

Status
Not open for further replies.