Wiring for AC air handler

Status
Not open for further replies.

fm482

Hi Folks,

Installing the wiring for a Carier air handler.

Apparently the recommended is 220 15 amp.
Proper breaker to use is a 15amp 2 pole breaker?

Also, HVAC tech, asked for a disconnect to be mounter on unit.
This would be a double pole single throw 15amp switch?

Last question.
Tech asked for an outlet and a 4 square for the low voltage transformer to be mounted on the air handler. The outlet I'm assuming is for the condensate pump.
1. Is it ok to run use the same circuit which is powering the air handler for these. I know i will need to run a 14/3 in order to have a neutral for the 120 volt req of the low voltage transformer and the outlet. Just wasn't sure if it ws ok to use for both.

Thanks in advance.

frank

fm482

Hi Larry,

Sorry didn't know this was for licensed only. I do have a low voltage license which i know is not the same. Just trying to verify what I thought was correct.

fm482

210.63 states, "A 125-volt, single phase 15- or 20- ampere -rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing or heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall not be connnected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means."

I take that to mean the outlet can be supplied by the line side.

Can this outlet also be used for the condensate pump and the transformer, or should a seperate branch circuit be used?

larryl

Ac..

Ac..

an a/c disconect is probly cheaper than a double pole switch,,
the required receptacle is'nt required to be a seperate circiut,,,,
run #12,,
receptacle,, 25' from unit,,look around,,might be one there allready,,,
dont forget the bubble cover,,,
& the WIRING PERMIT,,

fm482

thanks larry,

actually i'm ok with the outside condenser disconnect and receptacle location. there is a gfi within 10' of the unit. (existing)

question is for the air handler inside on the basement level.

thanks

Hello to all-

Coming from the HVAC industry, I always wanted the condensate pumps, electronic air cleaners, UV lights, zoning controls and humidifiers on the load side of the furnace/air handler disconnect, since they are all part of that system. Is there a problem with this? You don't want any of them off with the others operating. I never thought there may be code compliance issues and nobody ever called it.

ryan_618

BrentU said:
Hello to all-

Coming from the HVAC industry, I always wanted the condensate pumps, electronic air cleaners, UV lights, zoning controls and humidifiers on the load side of the furnace/air handler disconnect, since they are all part of that system. Is there a problem with this? You don't want any of them off with the others operating. I never thought there may be code compliance issues and nobody ever called it.

I don't see it as a violation.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's not a violation for a receptacle to be wired on the load side of the disconnect as long as there is another receptacle, within 25' and on the same building level, that is not so wired.

Status
Not open for further replies.