Wires passing thru J boxes 250.148

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoopersup

250.148 gives the impression that if a set of conductors And equipment ground run thru a box they are Not required to attach to the box. I feel thats kinda a blanket statement. That in all cases is not True. Example 2-4 inch Pvc come from underground hit a J box(Metal) on a wood funished building then go inside as PVC thur the wall.The box in that case would be floating. I know you can point to other areas in the code requireing the bonding of the box But that section should reference it!! Just one mans opinion.

wirenut1980

Re: Wires passing thru J boxes 250.148

I'm not sure I understand your issue here. I thought that if wires were just passing through a box, and were not spliced in the box, then no connection was needed. So if the wires are just passing through, what is the problem? Are you worried that the box could become energized if one of the ungrounded conductors insulation somehow failed and was touching the box? I think that might be going too far if I understand correctly.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Wires passing thru J boxes 250.148

I think he is talking about a metal box used in the middle of a PVC raceway used as a pull point.

250.148 basically tells us if there are no other connections made in the box the grounding conductor can pass straight through.

I believe yoopersup is concerned that this will lead to electricians forgetting 250.110 which requires most electrical enclosures to be grounded. I don't see the problem yoopersup, the NEC can not cross reference everything. I feel that grounding enclosures is fairly basic electricians knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.