wireless lighting system

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
I'm working in a new construction middle school project, but at this time nobody knows what type of lighting system we're going to use, but personally I'd like to know some info about different lighting system in commercial buildings or the most common use in this type of occupancy. The lighting plans shows control by zones and the foreman says the switches are going to be wireless, and I want to move forward to get some knowledge and how to wiring and install the system. Can someone suggest brand or manufacturer with this type of features. Thanks in advance and bless all

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
I would look at network lighting controls using cat6. I think it’s the typical system you find in a lot of schools, competitive with multiple manufacturers. Personally I’ve started designing the the lighting controls, performance based, providing schedules indicating what the intent is for each space and letting the contractor see what systems his vendors offer to meet the requirements, system needs to be networked based and it usually done with low voltage cat6 but I’ve recently included wireless as acceptable. Main thing people say is the batteries in the wall switches and sensors will die and need replaced. but I compare that to battery operated plumbing fixtures. There is range issues and if you have schedules for areas like 50% on at a certain time and sweeps at the end of the day , make sure the system you use can accommodate. Lurton vive is a nice wireless system but I’ve never done it with a a time schedule. Look at aquity too. The network low voltage cat6 system we’ve had in a ton of schools is the nLight , they can even deal with some exterior and be networked in to your system which is a big gap with alot of them. Depending on what your trying to do your exterior lights will likely be on there own system with a little relay panel controlled by photocell and time clock or something.

simon mugo

Occupation
engineer
I'm working in a new construction middle school project, but at this time nobody knows what type of lighting system we're going to use, but personally I'd like to know some info about different lighting system in commercial buildings or the most common use in this type of occupancy. The lighting plans shows control by zones and the foreman says the switches are going to be wireless, and I want to move forward to get some knowledge and how to wiring and install the system. Can someone suggest brand or manufacturer with this type of features. Thanks in advance and bless all
two types of wiring systems are used in the buildings. The parallel and the series wiring system. The most common is the parallel system which is preferred for the ability to keep the lights on even if one bulb blows out. For series, when one bulb blows out the circuit is incomplete hence triggering the effect of lights not working again.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
we're going to use lighting control panel as part of lighting control system and my point is if this LCP have to be associated with another, let's say slave LCP and how to arrange to wire those

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
we're going to use lighting control panel as part of lighting control system and my point is if this LCP have to be associated with another, let's say slave LCP and how to arrange to wire those

it is going to be specific to the system you use.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
two types of wiring systems are used in the buildings. The parallel and the series wiring system. The most common is the parallel system which is preferred for the ability to keep the lights on even if one bulb blows out. For series, when one bulb blows out the circuit is incomplete hence triggering the effect of lights not working again.
Series lighting is not used in the US, I am not sure if the NEC allows

Status
Not open for further replies.