wireless interconnecting smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachshadow

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
04/09/2021 - I am an electrical contractor. I have a situation where I have upgraded the electrical meter service and the main electrical panel. Now, In Cobb County, GA or Marietta, GA. It is my understanding. I am required to install interconnecting smoke detectors in each bedroom. Bedroom being defined as a room that has a closet and a window. So, I have been told by a Marietta electrical inspector that long life battery powered Wireless interconnecting smoke and carbon type detectors are now allowed as of 2020. Is that Correct? What is the code for that?Do you recommend any particular product that meets the code?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Nest, Kidde and BRK all have wireless interconnect versions. You can get them in battery powered and line voltage powered. You can mix the battery powered with the line voltage powered if you have power at some locations.

mwm1752

No NEC code for placement in structures, most likely a jurisdictional amendment for any permit they approve. The IRC section 314 is requirements for types & methods but the AJH may have amended that as well. look at local code amendments.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
04/09/2021 - I am an electrical contractor. I have a situation where I have upgraded the electrical meter service and the main electrical panel. Now, In Cobb County, GA or Marietta, GA. It is my understanding. I am required to install interconnecting smoke detectors in each bedroom. Bedroom being defined as a room that has a closet and a window. So, I have been told by a Marietta electrical inspector that long life battery powered Wireless interconnecting smoke and carbon type detectors are now allowed as of 2020. Is that Correct? What is the code for that?Do you recommend any particular product that meets the code?
That's a pretty tough standard. Here in NJ, you wouldn't be required to put interconnected smoke alarms in unless there were an actual addition, or if there was a complete rewire. Not for a service and panel upgrade.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Wireless interconnection for smoke alarms is allowed under UL 217, NFPA 72 and IRC 314. Nest is a good example. Also all the big name guys make them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.