Wireless equipment UL'd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbartsch

Does RF coax, connectors, diplexers, duplexers, tower top amplifiers, straps, hangers, etc. as used in a cellular/PCS/microwave environment, need to be UL'd?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Wireless equipment UL'd?

Most of that type radio equipment is not available in a listed version, UL or otherwise. Its really up to the AHJ, see section 90.4.
Take a look at section 90.3...

dereckbc

Staff member

I am no expert, but very few wireless providers have a utility status. I work for a telecom that is recognized as a utility in some regions, while not in others. I have bitten a few times over this and it is never clear. Always takes a lawyer to determine the status.

I know it is a legal status on a local basis, sometimes voted on by the public, ad valorem tax is assessed, has a monopoly, and right-of-ways are granted if applicable.

So IMO unless it is a true telephone company with right-of-ways, copper lines going to residence/commercial/industrial properties, or other such utilities like electric, CATV, or gas, I doubt they are exempt from permits or inspection.

I have been in electric utilities and telecom business for a long time, and I am still confused about when/where/what about the exempt status. :confused:

hurk27

I would have a hard time with a statement that they have to have lines to a customer to be called a utility as 90.2(B)(4) does not say anything about this.I would think in most states cellular company's would be governed by the state utility commission? At least here in Indiana it is. And a building like this is not mention in 90.2(A) at all

90.2(B)(4) Installations of communications equipment under the exclusive control of communications utilities located outdoors or in building spaces used exclusively for such installations
H'mmmm This give's me somthing to do some research on.

charlie

I do not know how the cell phone industry works but the cable type telecommunications and CATV companies are all licensed as utilities in order to make use of the utility easements. If they are not a utility, they can not use the utility easements.

This issue is imperative for Comcast and Brighthouse in Indianapolis since they are using platted utility easements. Most of the other telecommunications companies use public rights-of-way . . . HMMM . . . gotta be a utility to do that. :D

dereckbc

Staff member

Wayne, told it was confusing. :confused: Even are lawyers get it wrong.

While you are researching check into ad valorem taxes. The tax is paid on a city by city baises. It is usually a yearly percentage of the property value. In Oklahoma it is 25% of the property value. Not many companies will pay the added expense to just to avoid permits and inspections. In short, my oppinion is the ad valorem tax is a pay-off to a city to use right-a-ways and bypass permits and inspections.

Then there is the catch. For example if you are a Telco and installing equipment in occupancies other than your own facility, like a high rise or office complex, then you are still required to meet local codes.

So I agree with Tom, and to answer the original question, it is up to the AHJ

[ March 24, 2004, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Hurk, some applications are not exempt. For example I have a 40 site radio system, but I am not an exempt utility. Most of the radio equipment of the type mentioned in the orginal post is not listed. In our area, the AHJ usually does not look at the radio gear, the bonding and grounding yes.

hurk27

I guess there is much to learn in this area as we did a cell site a few years back and the local AHJ stopped and wanted to know where the permit was. the site foreman called the state building commissioner and the local AHJ never came back. I do know here in Indiana manufactured buildings fall under state rule and not local but as it's classified as a class 1 structure but I was thinking that the cell equipment was under 90.2(B)(4)?

Status
Not open for further replies.