wireless duress systems plug and play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question , Do you need low voltage , limited energy or alarm lisc. to install wireless duress systems. System comes with central station and pre-programmed battery operated devices. 900 mhz system. With 12v plug in 900mhz antennas for communication between devices and and central station. System is a complete plug n play straight from manufacturer. So being there is NO wiring what so ever is there a need for License?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You mean like a "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up" system?

Maybe the NYSBFA association would say you need to be licensed, but no, you don't.

-Hal

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I'm not sure I'd want to be in the business of "installing" these systems, or even reselling them. Something bad happens to someone it won't matter that all you may have done was plug in the base station and hook it to the modem or phone line. You'll get to see up close and personal how good your liability insurance coverage is. The process will be the punishment.

ALarosa

ALarosa

You mean like a "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up" system?

Maybe the NYSBFA association would say you need to be licensed, but no, you don't.

-Hal

I really appreciate your reply. I just want to cover myself regarding this product I'm installing. I would like to give you some additional information detailing system operation.

1) Is a STAND ALONE SYSTEM
2) System like mine and other systems similar are used in Hotels and other establishments looking for added safety for employees
3) Because buildings are vertical " fallen and i can't get up systems " will not work in these vertical buildings
4) Also systems are not intended to notify outside central monitoring stations or Law Enforcement ( basically sends duress alarm to central station located at in house security office or persons who responsible for safety n security.
5) Devices are usually are placed in guest rooms and designated areas within hotel. Which are all battery operated
6) Then There are Repeaters and radios which are 12v plugged in devices that help with signaling
7) All these devices wireless send signal to a Central station within building
8) Employees carry rechargeable transmitters and when pressed for alarm signal is sent to central enabling security to know exactly where employee is

Because this technology is fairly new there are no specific laws or codes on what precisely needs to be covered or monitored. Cities and states vary on their protocols.
Therefore I find myself in a Grey area on whether or not Licenses are required.
Also to cover myself regardless I'm in the process of inquiring licenses in state and localities I maybe doing sales.

I hope this additional information is more detailed. Also I would like to let you know I've been in the Electrical Trade for over 30 years. Again I appreciated your reply

Sincerely .

Tony.L

ALarosa

ALarosa

I'm not sure I'd want to be in the business of "installing" these systems, or even reselling them. Something bad happens to someone it won't matter that all you may have done was plug in the base station and hook it to the modem or phone line. You'll get to see up close and personal how good your liability insurance coverage is. The process will be the punishment.

Thank You for your reply I definitely will take your input as a major factor going forward and will get what ever licenses I would need to make sure I'm compliant.

Again thank you for your insight.

Sincerely ,
Tony.L

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
After reading your additional information and doing some research, it seems I was totally unfamiliar with what are called duress or panic button systems. I've always considered them the simple "Help! I've fallen" systems or a panic button feature integrated into a security system. But they have taken on a life of their own, being complete systems in and of themselves. And I'm sure with school security at the forefront, sales are going to take off.

Duress systems are used for a wide variety of applications such as bank teller duress, interview room duress, judge’s chambers duress, customer service or receptionist duress and medical or nurse station duress. There are many ways to install duress systems and they can be used for different applications, as detailed above. They can be, wireless, monitored via central station (phone-line dialing), onsite paging via SMS or pager, or they can be monitored by onsite security personnel. ... The purpose of a duress system is to provide the convenient and efficient notification of an emergency. Duress systems drastically reduce the notification and response time in the event of a hold-up in a bank, a theft in a jewelry store or a hospital room emergency, for example. Duress systems are now industry standard in the legal, medical, bank, jewelry, and mercantile industry. ... reputable manufacturers of duress systems that include Honeywell, LENEL, NAPCO and DSC.

Given that, I'm going to take back what I said about licensing. Here in New York, security installers are required to be licensed by the state.

Security/Fire Alarm Installer Industry
"To engage in the business of installing, servicing or maintaining security or fire alarm systems" means and refers to a person who holds himself out directly or indirectly, as being able, or who offers or undertakes, by any means or method, to install, service or maintain a security or fire alarm system to detect intrusion, break-in, movement, sound or fire. It is the responsibility of licensees to understand the Business of Installing, Servicing or Maintaining Security or Fire Alarm Systems License Law

Although not specifically mentioned, I'm sure duress systems would be considered a security system falling under this requirement.

Further information on obtaining a NYS license is here- https://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/alarminstall/alarm_faq.html#1

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.