Wire trough considerations for ATS install 225a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demoh

Occupation
Field tech
Normal generator installs and breaking a feed before a panel to install a transfer switch I am fine with, but this job requires a bit more elbow grease than ive had to use ever.

225A 3phase panel fed by 4x 4/0 Cu and ground, maybe 50-75'. The upstream panel is a 400A which is pretty crowded so repulling is a last resort. Its EMT in drop ceiling 1st floor to feed a 2nd floor panel. Ive broken the pipe 5' from the 90 up through the floor under the subpanel and pulled the wire out, but holy crap this 4/0 is the stiffest 4/0 i have ever worked with. Side by side with new 4/0 I can bend new copper a whole lot easier than this old copper, which I am sure it is due to the actual type of copper used when manufactured. I have serious doubts I would be able to make this cable turn in an LB if I needed to.

That being said, where the 90 that went upstairs is, I was going to terminate that pipe into a trough to route the wire into and extend the additional 5-10' to the ATS. (ATS is 1st floor). From the ATS new wire up to the panel

My normal work I never really deal with making connections in troughs. Most of my work is either new / add or I just re-pull everything.

1) what dimensions of a trough would be recommended so im not killing myself to make these connections to cut back and extend these lines, and the 2 options i am looking at are top feed on broad side and out one of the ends, or feed from the back and out one of the ends. The back feed may not be feasable due to where the pipe comes out of the wall where the trough will go and access being blocked by red iron trusses so 90ing down to lower the trough seems to be the best option.

2) is it permissible to have the normal power that feeds the ATS be in the same trough as the output of the ATS headed to the subpanel? Basically 4 pipes and spaghetti. I would only really consider this if I am unable to core another hole through the floor because I would really like to go from the ATS to the 2nd floor in 1 pull.

Im thinking a 12x12x24 or 12x12x36 should be enough? If I have to back feed due to me not being able to 90 down or use an LB I guess I could make a custom wireway using hoffman accessories (the 12x12x?? troughs that I would be using are part of the hoffman lay in wireway system already). Is 12x12 overkill for this?

Ill see if I can get some pictures from the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.