Wire prices - getting sadder by the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsparky52

Probably nothing. I think companies like that don't lose money. They seem quick to increase and slow to bring prices back down. They buy so much material company wide they're pretty much a market maker.
You would think that's the way it was, but back in 04/05 when copper was going up fast, the supply houses were following wire prices up faster than HD was. I remember complaining to the supply house that my customers could go buy 12 and 10 stranded THWN cheaper than I paid them for it.

Maybe this time HD and Lowe's have learned this lesson.

oldsparky52

Gas stations figured this out years ago.
Gas stations also figured out that they have no choice but to sell inventory at a loss when prices are falling so when prices are going up they need to increase the prices on their inventory and make more on the way up so they can take the loss on the way down.

The ones that don't learn this lesson lose or go out of business.

Most of the conversations on here or about NM, which I'm kind of sick of talking about. let's throw some other types of conductors into the mix. I mentioned this in some of the threads, but last year's price on 15kv primary was about $2 a foot, one supply house just quoted me 2.90. found another place that had it for 2.50. last year I got some 500/500 / 1/0 aluminum USE and it was 3.60 per foot plexed and freight allowed. just got a quote this morning for the same stuff it was 4.60 per foot, and that was not plexed and not with free freight. Larger THHN seems to be quite veried depending where you get it. got a quote for some number L- 824 airport lighting cable from one place was $0.69 another place was $0.95.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If HD buys NM at $25 per roll and sells it at $50 per roll, how much profit have they made when they pay $75 per roll to restock?
What they (or anyone) pay for future product has nothing to do with the profit they just made on existing stock. The profit on the future stock would be dependent on them selling the new product at a profit the same ratio as the old. Say the new cost them $50 and they sell it for $100, they would make the same profit as before but with different numbers.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I remember complaining to the supply house that my customers could go buy 12 and 10 stranded THWN cheaper than I paid them for it.

Maybe this time HD and Lowe's have learned this lesson.
I'm hoping you have, too. ;)

(Buy from HD and L if their prices are lower)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Gas stations also figured out that they have no choice but to sell inventory at a loss when prices are falling so when prices are going up they need to increase the prices on their inventory and make more on the way up so they can take the loss on the way down.

The ones that don't learn this lesson lose or go out of business.
Here in NJ, gas stations aren't allowed to change their prices more than once per day. IIRC, when they raise prices, they have to change the billboard signs first, then change the pumps. I think the pumps have to be done one at a time. When they lower prices, they have to change the pumps first, then do the billboard signs.

Clayton79

Occupation
Owner/operator
Not sure lol, I don’t think they sell it there. But news flash it went to 232.00 today at Menards with a posted sign saying copper is at 10yr high and thanks for understanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not sure lol, I don’t think they sell it there. But news flash it went to 232.00 today at Menards with a posted sign saying copper is at 10yr high and thanks for understanding

They sell AC and MC cable in IL. I'm sure that went up as well

rainwater01

Occupation
Electrician
My supply house said it’s the jacket around the nmb cable that they’re having trouble with. Something about a plant being down. He said MC hasn’t gone up like nmb has.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't think as much as NM did though. Think NM is close to same price as MC in many places. Think it is the plastic sheath that is driving NM even higher than other copper products.
Currently my price on 12/2 MC from Platt is $0.68/ft where as 12/2 NM is $0.89/ft.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My friend sent me this from our supply company. I like copper but not that much more.

3/0 copper $6.22 ft
2/0 copper $4.83 ft

4/0 AL $.96 ft
2/0 AL $.70 ft

Seems high.

Just checked one of my suppliers.
3/0 CU THHN $4.73
2/0 CU XHHW $3.60

4/0 AL XHHW $.72
2/0 AL XHHW $.52

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Seems high.

Just checked one of my suppliers.
3/0 CU THHN $4.73
2/0 CU XHHW $3.60

4/0 AL XHHW $.72
2/0 AL XHHW $.52

The trouble with wire is that the price may depend on when you bought it. If my supplier bought it today and your people bought it a month ago then that could be the difference

Clayton79

Occupation
Owner/operator
Any takers on whether or not they bring back AL branch circuit wire

Menards here has MC 12-2 for 144 per 250ft

Status
Not open for further replies.