Winery Production Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepjr32

I am designing my first winery currently and I was wondering if anyone knew if the winery production area is an NSF location and do I need to specify the lights with an NSF rating? Thanks in advance.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am designing my first winery currently and I was wondering if anyone knew if the winery production area is an NSF location and do I need to specify the lights with an NSF rating? Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming that there's an architect on this job. Ask him, it's his job to know this. "Winery production area" seems a little vague.

nepjr32

I will check in with the Architect, thank you for the suggestion. It's very early in the design process, Winery production area is what they have the room tagged as. So kind of up in the air, right now of what the space will be used for. Was curious had done one before and specified NSF fixtures in that type of area.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Was curious had done one before and specified NSF fixtures in that type of area.

NSF has nothing to do with a classified location or even anything electrical. NSF stands for National Sanitary Foundation and certifies that food service equipment is designed and constructed to promote food safety and reduce the chances of food borne illnesses.

-Hal

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Is this an area that requires periodic spray washes with a sanitizing solution? Therefore, all electrical fixtures must be water-tight or certified washable??

(Is this the Grape Stomping area?) :angel:

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE

While it is absolutely important to consider sanitation, there is more to designing winery and other alcoholic products facility.
I’ve worked on brewery equipment and commissioning-- fermentation related telemetry and instrumentation (temperature, liquid refractory properties etc.) and fire suppression.

Wine production is no different.

During the fermentation process ethyl alcohol occurs naturally—a by-product if you will.
Concentration of alcohol fumes create a hazardous environment as in explosive conditions.

Here is an excerpt on studies regarding this.

Ethyl alcohol is a flammable, toxic, colorless liquid with a sweet, wine-like characteristic odor. It is used as a solvent and a raw material (and is sometimes a by-product) in the production of alcoholic beverages, antifreeze, cleaning chemicals, cosmetics, detergents, dyes, elastomers, explosives, inks, gasohol, lubricants, mouthwash, paints, perfumes, pharmaceuticals, plastics, and many other chemicals and products. Ethyl alcohol is the alcohol present in beer, wine, whiskey, and all other alcoholic beverages.
It exists in grades designated as absolute, completely denatured, industrial, specially denatured (SD), USP, and as various proofs (one-half the proof number equals the percentage of alcohol by volume). Properties and hazards listed for ethyl alcohol are for the pure, anhydrous alcohol (which really is not totally anhydrous, since it contains up to one percent water).”

I don’t specialize in design of facilities involving hazardous materials. . . I’m just pointing out that as I said “There is more to it than meets the eye.”
There is forum member that specializes in this field (Hazardous Classification)
You are an apprentice and I don’t want to mislead you.

For more check this link

https://www.fireengineering.com/articles/print/volume-143/issue-3/features/ethyl-alcohol.html

Good luck

nepjr32

Thank you all for the insight, I have been in touch with the Architect since I last spoke and he said there was no requirement to make that area NSF rated. There is a crush pad on the outside of the facility that will be the intended spot for crushing the grapes. The fermentation/brewing process will occur in the production area. I don't believe the fixtures themselves will need to be spray down rated because when they clean the inside of the tanks they use a pressure washer from the top of the tank, but the fixtures I am using are IP65 rated anyway.
[MENTION=154118]myspark[/MENTION], thank you for the link to the article, that was very useful information. Just curious, I see that article was written in 1990. Did this article pertain to just florescent fixtures, since LED fixtures weren't available then? I'm just wondering if they brought up the point due to the mercury vapors in florescent fixtures? Thoughts?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Thank you all for the insight, I have been in touch with the Architect since I last spoke and he said there was no requirement to make that area NSF rated.

You don't make an area NSF rated, the equipment they buy may or may not need to be NSF listed. At any rate it has nothing to do with you.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.