Will it trip the breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Somewhere in this thread, I said the fuse would be considered the weakest link of the circuit...
But with element running at near 4 times it's designed wattage, it may not be. The fuse is only seeing twice the current it sees at 120 volts, if it is a 750 watt toaster and has 15 amp fuses twice the normal operating current is still less than the 15 amp fuse rating, element is going to be the weak link in that situation.

Gary11734

But with element running at near 4 times it's designed wattage, it may not be. The fuse is only seeing twice the current it sees at 120 volts, if it is a 750 watt toaster and has 15 amp fuses twice the normal operating current is still less than the 15 amp fuse rating, element is going to be the weak link in that situation.

If I say that the fuse WILL be the weak link, I would assume the person that does the math will come up with the answer, which is over 100 percent of the breaker ampacity and trip.

The question was based on whether someone would think the current would drop in half, not what the weakest link in the circuit was.

Ok, the next post will be;..... This original question sucks! lol. Yes, I have heard this here often in this thread...

Your above scenario sounds correct. The toaster element would be the wink link...

Status
Not open for further replies.