Why is this a violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
1642438386908.png
Is it because there are 2 separate service disconnects where the feeders originate?

Confused.

JAP>

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
If you made one of those service disconnects a transfer switch for a generator it would be legal.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
According to the drawing, yes, that's why. The two disconnects on the pedestal need to be in one enclosure.
And why is that?

Although there are 2 service disconnects they are fed from a single source under 1 meter.

What do you gain by both feeders originating from a single panel?

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, confusing. If the 2 feeders came from one disconnect enclosure you can actually have 6 separate enclosures at the building with main disconnects

I agree confusing.

There is no such thing as 2 feeders from a single disconnect unless you bring the Tap rule into play.

If you had (2) feeders where the tap rule didn't come into play the feeder conductors would have to be full size to the structure so what's the point?

JAP>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree confusing.

There is no such thing as 2 feeders from a single disconnect unless you bring the Tap rule into play.

If you had (2) feeders where the tap rule didn't come into play the feeder conductors would have to be full size to the structure so what's the point?

JAP>

If you have a main breaker panel and run 2 feeders from the panel are you saying you can't do that? lol

I don't think they mean a one circuit panel.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If you have a main breaker panel and run 2 feeders from the panel are you saying you can't do that? lol

I don't think they mean a one circuit panel.
You said from (1) Disconnect.

A Disconnect is not a Breaker Panel.

JAP>

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Plus the now in the 2020 NEC we cant have the two 200A mains in one 400A main lug enclosure anymore

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Plus the now in the 2020 NEC we cant have the two 200A mains in one 400A main lug enclosure anymore

There is some sense to that though,

The violation graphic I posted would actually be safer than (2) feeder breakers in a single enclosure.

I don't get it.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Yes and then you would have service conductors not feeders and you wouldn't be allowed to run 2 sets of service conductors to a building. Unless that has changed in the 2020

If the setup on the rack was located at the structure, there would be no need for (2) Sets of Service Conductors, only (1).

JAP>

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Yes and then you would have service conductors not feeders and you wouldn't be allowed to run 2 sets of service conductors to a building. Unless that has changed in the 2020
I am thinking call it one 'set', as they are joined at the 320A meter end.
looking at 230.40 Exception 2:
Code:
Exception No. 2: Where two to six service disconnecting means
in separate enclosures are grouped at one location and supply
separate loads from one service drop, set of overhead service
conductors, set of underground service conductors, or service
lateral, one set of service-entrance conductors shall be permitted
to supply each or several such service equipment enclosures.
Same wording as 2017 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.