Why is there no GFCI requirement on hard wired pool equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
here in CA it's been required. We have code section and I believe it is in the 2011 NEC

680.21 (C),
GFCI protection. Outlets supplying pool pump motors connected to single-phase, 120 volts through 240 volt branch circuits. rated 15 or 20 amperes, whether by receptacle or by direct connection. shall be provided with ground-fault
circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why do receptacles near the pool need GFCI protection but pool pumps/heaters not need GFCI protection?

Who says pool pumps do not need gfci protection. They sure do but at one time they did not. Now all single phase pool pumps need gfci protection

Pool heaters do not require the gfci but I do not know why

user 100

Who says pool pumps do not need gfci protection. They sure do but at one time they did not. Now all single phase pool pumps need gfci protection

I keep thinking that they kept exempting hard wired pumps for a long time and that only cord and plug connected needed it- never made sense why they did that.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Possibly because hard wired pool equipment is hard bonded to the equipotential grid while random devices plugged into receptacles are not?

user 100

Possibly because hard wired pool equipment is hard bonded to the equipotential grid while random devices plugged
into receptacles are not?

For sure. Just seemed strange b/c they go crazy about gfci and try to cover every possible angle around a pool, yet a lot of faith was put into the hardwired joints and the continued maintenance (which likely never occurs regularly) of a lot of pools- just an observation.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.