Why hasn't this burned down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
120 volts doesn't jump very far at all. And is tough to sustain arcing should there be an arc.

Slit in the conductor insulation that is essentially in free air inside a box just isn't going to start arcing unless maybe it is in a metal working shop and you get conductive dust accumulating on/around it. If anything it is a shock hazard if you are working in there or can be arc flash if you push it into an object of different potential.

Seen places with mice infestations where they chew of cable sheath and insulation and you have bare conductors in close proximity - they may stay that way for years if undisturbed and still function.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I've used this... the Klein version... I found it either didn't cut the jacket all the way or it would nick the insulation on the conductors. It wasn't worth playing roulette for me. But that is just my experience.

Yeah and besides, how do you reach into the box to strip the jacket with that? I push my cables into the box, dress and staple them then strip the jacket off from inside the box. Then I cut the conductors to length.

I can't imagine stripping them first, shoving them in then playing with them to get the length of unstripped jacket right where they enter. Would take me twice as long.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.