Why EGC Separate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
I hadn’t thought of it, but that green cord could be just that, green.
Control feedback cable?
Yes, my vote would a controls cable of some type (Profibus / Interbus / CAN / etc). Or maybe a (simpler) temperature and or brake wiring?

Like Kwired asked - I wonder what it is exactly that we are looking at?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yes, my vote would a controls cable of some type (Profibus / Interbus / CAN / etc). Or maybe a (simpler) temperature and or brake wiring?

Like Kwired asked - I wonder what it is exactly that we are looking at?

I'm guessing pumps- I'm not 100% sure to be honest. I saw the all the green wires and decided to post it here wondering if it had anything to do with bonding and grounding.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have seen this done in a few industrial situations where grounding is critical and a "supplemental" ground is run to equipment in addition to the equip ground in the wiring method.

I have seen this done in a few industrial situations where grounding is critical and a "supplemental" ground is run to equipment in addition to the equip ground in the wiring method.
Yeah I've done some large PV systems where the designer was a green wire cult member. everything already had a wire EGC, but then there was this other green wire that went around and bonded equipment, cable tray etc again.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I have seen this done in a few industrial situations where grounding is critical and a "supplemental" ground is run to equipment in addition to the equip ground in the wiring method..
Seen quite a few on natural gas facilities for such reason. I’ve asked questions as to why it’s there, when it already has a EGC in the cable and conduit is attached with a bonding jumper to the cable tray, which in return is connected to the station grounding grid.

I guess to know, that you know, that you know it is properly connected to an EGC lol.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
That is not an EGG, its a green data cable, device net, ethernet or similar. Those are valve actuators like Rorork, or Limitorque, maybe for a rising stem type valve, with a lead screw. Since there are so many valves, they are networked using the green cable. Discrete wiring to each valve would be a lot of wires!
What type facility is this? My guess is a treatment plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.