Whole Building Generator - Emergency Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFK

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I've tried looking this up and found a few similar questions, but most are debating over transfer switches.

In a normal emergency lighting situation with a backup generator, we would have two transfer switches. One for the optional standby load and one for direct emergency. Then emergency circuit connected fixtures within the building would have a GTD to bypass local switching in the event that normal power was lost. So that there is immediate emergency lighting illuminated throughout all required spaces.

My question though; what is the correct way of connecting/providing emergency lighting if the whole building system is fed from the generator? We would still need the emergency and optional standby transfer switches, but the entire building would be optional standby. The lights would still be connected to an emergency circuit, but the GTD would now see both the 'normal' power and emergency power once the generator switches over. So the GTD would not bypass the local controls and the emergency lights would not come on in an emergency? If the optional standby load was switched off then the system would respond as intended and the GTD would override the local controls. But in an emergency where both sides are fed from an emergency generator, how is this normally handled so that the emergency lighting senses when to override the controls?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Usually the control is fed from a non-backed up panel, which would “fail” the lights on. Are you replacing the exsisting generator? Or just adding a bigger one (redundant) to power the entire service? I’m assuming Hid fixtures with restrike lighting capability?

TFK

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Usually the control is fed from a non-backed up panel, which would “fail” the lights on. Are you replacing the exsisting generator? Or just adding a bigger one (redundant) to power the entire service? I’m assuming Hid fixtures with restrike lighting capability?
No, this is a new facility where they want the entire service fed from the generator. All LED fixtures.

You get what I mean though.. where do I pull the control power from so that the lights "fail" on if everything is emergency?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If you don't have the seperate transferswitch for life safety, then the fixtures for egress lighting will require alternate backup. If you are putting a seperate switch and feed from the generator for emergency lighting, a simple dry contact off the the transferswitch position output will give you the control input to the ems or contactor control.

TFK

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That makes sense, so it seems like the "normal" power source would need to run through a contactor with a contact from the transfer switch as the control. Then during emergency operation the contactor would basically disconnect the normal power - causing the GTDs to detect an emergency and pull from the life safety circuitry.

Got it, thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.