White wire identification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's just as illegal for an inspector to fail something improperly as it is for him/her to pass something improperly. All we're asking for is a higher-up to make a decision of what is usually a difference of interpretation.

I've never had an inspector retaliate for me questioning a call. After all, if his supervisor overrides his position, the inspector is off the hook; he's no longer responsible for any future mishap involved in the decision.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I hate to admit this, but I have challenged before. I won the battle but was losing the war. The inspector remembered it and picked my jobs over with a fine tooth comb. Now I pick my battles... if it’s a easy fix I make them happy and go on...
The problem with kowtowing to appease an inspector who makes bad calls is that it also sets a precedent. I actually want the inspector to fear me, not the other way around.

My attitude is, "I dare you to find something wrong with my work!" They should be telling themselves, "I better be on my toes when inspecting Larry's work; he knows his sh*t!"

nickelec

You should challenge an inspector who is wrong. When I attend the state CEU classes I cringe at what comes out of the mouths of some of these licensed inspectors. Those are the ones who make us all look bad. You could probably use #14 conductors and be code compliant.
Exactly why should we be the ones that are always held to a standard a New York City inspectors are the worst I don't understand how, they even higher these guys 80% of them have no electrical background and jsut look at a check list it's disgusting

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
You should challenge an inspector who is wrong. When I attend the state CEU classes I cringe at what comes out of the mouths of some of these licensed inspectors. Those are the ones who make us all look bad. You could probably use #14 conductors and be code compliant.
I agree, don't demoralize him in the process, be sure you are right before doing so and then show him why you think he is wrong.

If they are too proud to accept they can make mistakes, they are simply a jerk.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"Those who can, do. Those who cannot, inspect."
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.