White Build up on circuit boards within a UPS System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonlucas

Has any one seen this before? (see attachment) I am guessing humidity issues, but I'm not getting many details from owner.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 0

GrayHair

If it's a self-contained UPS, check around the battery terminals and vents for signs of leaking. Also check the battery sides and bottom for signs of swelling.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
My guess would be the accumulation of statically-charged dust particles are or have been allowed to pass through the UPS's ventilation... perhaps coupled with condensation.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My guess would be the accumulation of statically-charged dust particles are or have been allowed to pass through the UPS's ventilation... perhaps coupled with condensation.
Depending on the direction of the airflow, that could be a good SWAG. Note the "shadow" of clear space below the upper large orange capacitor.
Possibly the clear area at the left is either low airflow of undisrupted airflow that is not dropping dust particles.
Or the voltages on the different parts of the board and electrostatic attraction may have something to do with it.
A smoke test (blowing smoke) with a clear plastic replacing the cover might shed some light on the airflow.
It would be interesting to find out the composition of the dust, starting with whether it is water soluble.

ceb58

Depending on the direction of the airflow, that could be a good SWAG. Note the "shadow" of clear space below the upper large orange capacitor.
Possibly the clear area at the left is either low airflow of undisrupted airflow that is not dropping dust particles.
Or the voltages on the different parts of the board and electrostatic attraction may have something to do with it.
A smoke test (blowing smoke) with a clear plastic replacing the cover might shed some light on the airflow.
It would be interesting to find out the composition of the dust, starting with whether it is water soluble.

Has any one been drilling concrete for mounting equipment or doing sheet rock work?

kwired

Electron manager
I'm mostly sold on dust from outside the unit as well, does it come off easily with just compressed air?

Most circuit board components are usually insulated with clear coatings of some sort, so there generally isn't much there to corrode, unless something is present that reacts with the insulating material. But you also have deposits on items that shouldn't be conductive even without any added insulation coatings.

Status
Not open for further replies.