Which way do you run PVC from the meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I think I saw a post about this one time but I never had it questioned, till today by a HO. He made quite a big deal that I came out of the meter with a stick with the bell end up and then a 4' piece to get to the height I needed. Worried about water getting in. What do you think?

iwire

Staff member
This is a non-issue and I would tell the HO not to worry about it.

Consider you could have used RMC or EMT, both use couplings open on each end.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Some people are really concerned about nonsense. If you use a standard PVC coupling would it be any different than having the bell end up?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you are using the PVC just as sheathing and are not glueing the joints, I could see a slim (very) chance of an issue. But if you glue the joint properly it will be watertight whichever way you orient it.
And if it is short sheathing with no additional piece attached, the "rain gauge" area will not be all that much bigger at the bell end.

Last edited:

peter d

I think I saw a post about this one time but I never had it questioned, till today by a HO. He made quite a big deal that I came out of the meter with a stick with the bell end up and then a 4' piece to get to the height I needed. Worried about water getting in. What do you think?

I use SEU cable so I don't have this issue. ;)

growler

This is a non-issue and I would tell the HO not to worry about it.

Consider you could have used RMC or EMT, both use couplings open on each end.

And you know the FA at the meter hub is face up.

Yes and if you fliped that stick of PVC around so the bell end is now down then it's now useless and would have to be removed to fit into the FA. Then you would need to use a PVC coupling that is also open on both ends.

I think these people need some bleach in their gene pool. :happyyes:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes and if you fliped that stick of PVC around so the bell end is now down then it's now useless and would have to be removed to fit into the FA. Then you would need to use a PVC coupling that is also open on both ends.

I think these people need some bleach in their gene pool. :happyyes:
I agree it's a non-issue from a performance perspective.

However, it is an issue from aesthetic and aesthetic maintenance perspective when above ground and in a vertical run/riser. The simple solution would have been to use a full stick at the riser, bent as needed, then nipple in the ditch... assuming we're talking about an actual conduit run. If we are talking about a protection/support sleeve... that's just outright shoddy workmanship IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.