Where to put lightning protection "test well"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
engineer
What is the best location for lightning protection "test well"? At the corner of the building? Or does it need to be close to the main electrical room? Thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Here's one of two we installed on the grounding ring at an outdoor cell site.

I think it's so they could test the impedance with a clamp-on ground tester.

View attachment 2555500
The grounding test wells I have worked with had a mechanical connection to the electrode so that you could test the ground resistance of the electrode itself.
Not sure if a "lightning protection test well" is the same thing.

Occupation
engineer
Here's one of two we installed on the grounding ring at an outdoor cell site.

I think it's so they could test the impedance with a clamp-on ground tester.

Yes that's what I meant. For a new building, what's the best place for it? At building corner? Or outside the main electrical room? Thanks.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
For testing, I think one needs access to a ground rod, and access to outdoor soil for a probe, so my money would be on putting it outside.

I suggest putting it where you will get the worst case readings.

Unless you can isolate parts of the grounding electrode system, shouldn't all the readings be about the same?

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
Electrical Systems Inspector
What is the best location for lightning protection "test well"? At the corner of the building? Or does it need to be close to the main electrical room? Thanks.
Depends on what type of lightning protection system installed, Catenary, Integral, or Mast-Type. Test wells are usually required when the system electrodes or ground loop are required to be tested. Test wells are used so that the driven electrode can be isolated from the rest of the system. Some systems; systems without a ground loop have a down conductor that attaches directly to the driven electrode. NFPA 780 says that the down conductor "shall be attached permanently to the grounding electrode system by bolting, brazing, welding, or high-compression connectors listed for the purpose".
NFPA 780 also says if you have a lightning protection system installed: "A ground bar designed for interconnection of building grounded systems shall have one connection to the lightning protection system."

It would seem to me if the connections were all permanent (brazed, welded) the test well would be useless except for knowing where your driven electrodes were located.

The systems I work on require me to do a 3-point fall of potential on the driven electrode every two years. When a new system is installed the installer should provide the customer with a "master label certificate" which is good for five years unless there is new construction, addition to the structure.

Sahib

It would seem to me if the connections were all permanent (brazed, welded) the test well would be useless except for knowing where your driven electrodes were located.
Still the overall ground resistance of the lightning protection system may be measured and compared with the standard value, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.