Where to begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_B

I'm interested in passing the National Master Electrician's exam thru Pearson Vue.
I've been in the industry for 19 years but my experience with electrical is limited. I've been exposed to mostly single phase, 120/240V work at the light commercial level. We've done a few larger jobs involving 3 phase and installing some single phase XFMR's. But, thats about it.

Looking for input on the best way to become more familiar with the NEC, how to use it efficiently and hopefully pass a test. I wasn't sure if one of the kits that Mike Holt offers would be all that is needed or if someone could recommend some useful classes in the Pittsburgh PA area.

Geon_W

the mike holt books are very useful, Start with the electrical exam preparation study guide to help you uncover what your weak areas are. You may discover you know enough to pass exam.

tkb

I'm interested in passing the National Master Electrician's exam thru Pearson Vue.
I've been in the industry for 19 years but my experience with electrical is limited. I've been exposed to mostly single phase, 120/240V work at the light commercial level. We've done a few larger jobs involving 3 phase and installing some single phase XFMR's. But, thats about it.

Looking for input on the best way to become more familiar with the NEC, how to use it efficiently and hopefully pass a test. I wasn't sure if one of the kits that Mike Holt offers would be all that is needed or if someone could recommend some useful classes in the Pittsburgh PA area.

So, with your limited experience, you think you are qualified to call yourself a master electrician IF you pass this test. :lol:

I takes years of apprenticeship and journeyman experience to become a true master. :happysad:

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So, with your limited experience, you think you are qualified to call yourself a master electrician IF you pass this test. :lol: I takes years of apprenticeship and journeyman experience to become a true master. :happysad:

If your plan is to test for a license limited to single phase work, then have at it. Otherwise, I have to agree with tkb. You should instead be seeking a job where you can get more experience in the 3-phase work. My Florida unlimited license requires 12,000 hours of experience, 40% of which is 3-phase work.

Last edited:

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Mine in N.Y. Requires 10 yrs. 2yrs. Must be resi..
Like I told my Doctor friend, " you can call me Master"!, Doctor. We use our first names for some reason.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
You guys are a ray of sunshine! First post and you tear him down...……
Welcome to the forum!

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
State Requirements

State Requirements

Find out the requirements for licensing in your state and go from there. 19 years of experience in commercial/residential and transformers is impressive. The test is open book based on the NEC. Take the practice tests in order to become familiar with the layout of the NEC. The answers are in the book. You just need to be able to find them quickly.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
19 years experience

19 years experience

He is looking for a shortcut to bypass years of OJT and schooling.
No mercy.

The guy says he has 19 years of experience in single phase, commercial work, three phase and transformers. This is not sufficient?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If your plan is to test for a license limited to single phase work, then have at it. Otherwise, I have to agree with tkb. You should instead be seeking a job where you can get more experience in the 3-phase work. My Florida unlimited license requires 12,000 hours of experience, 40% of which is 3-phase work.

The guy says he has 19 years of experience in single phase, commercial work, three phase and transformers. This is not sufficient?

I wasn't trying to be hard on him, but I am concerned that someone who has little three-phase experience (the way I read his post) would be getting licensed for three-phase work. That could be dangerous for both him and his clients.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Mikes stuff is great. He also has a lot of videos on YouTube that you can view for free and maybe find some of your weaknesses. Not sure about the test you're taking but around here a prep course is extremely valuable because you will get some insight into what you actually need to learn to pass the exam. And don't be dissuaded by the naysayers, I know many great electricians who don't know everything.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Welcome to the Forum, Mike !

From your description, it sounds like you'll want to bone up on calculations, especially three phase. Remember, the Master "designs" for the installation, and, that, in addition to knowing the NEC, and knowing practical mechanical installation, and simple Ohm's and Power Law equations, one needs to be versed in the Chapter 2, Article 220 Calculations along with Chapter 9 and Informative Annex D (Examples.)

This Forum can be a powerful learning tool. I've watched others use it the way I'm going to suggest to you, . . . as I wish I had this way back in the dark ages when I did my studying. Taking a "masters exam prep class," a long one like two full days, can do a lot to show up where you need additional study, and it can easily result in a series of questions that you don't understand or understand the answers of.

What I suggest is to bring those questions here, along with your answer. Show your work as you ask for help with the question. Don't just copy the question (that's taken as doing your homework, when we help answer without your showing the work of an answer attempt.)

The reality is, embarking on a career as a Master is to engage with a continual-learning career. Speaking for myself, I take these questions as a means to continue my personal "boning up" even though I've got decades as a working, hands-on-the-tools Master.

Status
Not open for further replies.