Where should sevice switches be located?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iamphil

I recently was sighted for a violation under this new code for locating service disconnect switches on an overhead residential two family home inside in each panel by using panels with a main breakers.

The violation did not contain information as to where I could find the actual page in the code which declares the main disconnect for each apartment be located outside the building right along side the two meters which I had installed in a vertical position.

I?d like a comment on that. I?ve seen other two family homes in the same neighborhood now under construction and none of them have disconnects mounted outside next to the meters. This is a NYC location. I?ve never before seen disconnects for residential dwelling outside buildings.

jimwalker

Re: Where should sevice switches be located?

If your talking about more than one disconnect then you need to group them together and no more than 6.Only way i seen this being allowed is with a fire wall and it being called 2 buildings not one

jimwalker

225.34 Grouping of Disconnects.
(A) General. The two to six disconnects as permitted in 225.33 shall be grouped. Each disconnect shall be marked to indicate the load served.
Exception: One of the two to six disconnecting means permitted in 225.33, where used only for a water pump also intended to provide fire protection, shall be permitted to be located remote from the other disconnecting means.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Where there are multiple occupancies, as in this case, the service disconnects for the seperate occupancies are not required to be grouped with those of the other occupancy. 230.71 and .72
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.