Where should overhead kitchen lighting be pointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

When installing pendant lighting for illuminating countertops/sink area should they be centered on the countertop? If not, what is a good rule for this area?

thanks

480sparky

For a standard 25" deep c'top, I prefer it to be 8" from the back. This way someone who leans over won't be as likely to have to work in their shadow.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
As part of a kitchen remodel last year, the electrician installed LED strips along the very back of the underside of our upper cabinets. They provide plenty of light on the entire counter surface.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I typically place the edge of the trim closest to the upper cabinets lined up with the edge of the counter top. I don't like hot points on the cabinets. Center recessed and pendants over peninsulas and islands unless the customer prefers something else.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Joe are there upper cabinets? If so that is a bad design as the doors will hit them unless they are outside the base cabinet line. If this is an island then I would center them on the island. If the island is 6' then I would have one centered and the others about 2' from center

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can't remember seeing pendants being used for countertops. These are almost always recessed cans. I align them centered on the edge of the countertop.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
As part of a kitchen remodel last year, the electrician installed LED strips along the very back of the underside of our upper cabinets. They provide plenty of light on the entire counter surface.

I did one a couple of years back. I put the under counter lights like you just suggested.
the HO decided to also add the same lights to the front of the top of the overhead cabinets. I had my doubts until I saw them once the kitchen was finished. It makes for an awesome lighting effect!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I thought the OP was referring to areas without upper cabinets.
Generally, centered, but stepped islands can be treated like two separate islands, like three small pendants over the raised eating area, and two bigger pendants straddling the sink.

480sparky

Generally, centered, but stepped islands can be treated like two separate islands, like three small pendants over the raised eating area, and two bigger pendants straddling the sink.

OK. Lets go back to the OP.

When installing pendant lighting for illuminating countertops/sink area should they be centered on the countertop? If not, what is a good rule for this area?

thanks

I envisioned this:

Pams-Kitchen-sink-area.jpg

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is this a residential kitchen? I'm really curious about the padlock on the fridge. Also there seems to be too few countertop receps.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Is this a residential kitchen? I'm really curious about the padlock on the fridge. Also there seems to be too few countertop receps.

Cali. that's a humidor for the reefer.
Agree picture makes it look a bit long on the counter plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.