Where’s the dimmer?

HeadScratcher

Occupation
Electrician
Fellow electrician okay with installing dimmer switch above dropped ceiling. Not in agreement. Thought dimmer switches need to be installed in the wall and readily accessible.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Nothing in the code about switches being readily accessible. With that said, only reason I can think of to put one there is they want a switch somewhere that would be difficult/impossible to put one, so they put a master switch above the ceiling and a wireless remote switch somewhere else.
I've done this with Caseta switch and Pico remote. Wasn't above a dropped ceiling but was in the attic.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Nothing in the code about switches being readily accessible. With that said, only reason I can think of to put one there is they want a switch somewhere that would be difficult/impossible to put one, so they put a master switch above the ceiling and a wireless remote switch somewhere else.
I've done this with Caseta switch and Pico remote. Wasn't above a dropped ceiling but was in the attic.

Attic temperatures can get quite high in some parts of the country. This probably wouldn't be an issue with an electronic switch like a Caseta. A dimmer can dissipate more power however, and so it could possibly become an issue there. A dropped ceiling is not as likely to have that problem. Check for the manufacture's operating temperature range if they provide that.

HeadScratcher

Occupation
Electrician
It was just a cheap answer to try and bring the lumen level down to a more appropriate level and keep people from messing with the light levels. I’m assuming it is okay then based on… Article 404.8 Exception 2? Not sure the intent of the article is to encompass dimmers. Service switches - yes, dimmers - that’s kind of a stretch in my opinion.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I install Dimmers in closets, pantry's,basements for Radio Ra.
Should not be an issue.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I need to back up on that, I was just thinking dimmers, but I guess a dimmer is a switch. But I still think a wireless remote would be allowed with the master somewhere else.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I need to back up on that, I was just thinking dimmers, but I guess a dimmer is a switch. But I still think a wireless remote would be allowed with the master somewhere else.
They don't want others to have access to the dimmer but they want access to on and off.

retirede

Attic temperatures can get quite high in some parts of the country. This probably wouldn't be an issue with an electronic switch like a Caseta. A dimmer can dissipate more power however, and so it could possibly become an issue there. A dropped ceiling is not as likely to have that problem. Check for the manufacture's operating temperature range if they provide that.

“Above a drop ceiling” is not in an attic.

HeadScratcher

Occupation
Electrician
Attics, pantries, and basements are not unusual to have a wall mounted dimmer. Drop ceilings though... Totally different story. I'm hoping to get support from Management to remove the dimmers and install Lutron PowPaks. This product is at least listed and designed for use above the ceiling. They're not much more than the 0-10v dimmers anyway. It's gonna be a tough sell though if the NEC allows the cheaper setup using a dimmer. Can't make 'em change a Code compliant installation!

HeadScratcher

Occupation
Electrician
I should have mentioned the dimmed lights are not switched. There's no need to have or use the switch part of the dimmer. Only the dimming circuit is used. The light levels will be set and left alone. The Lutron PowPak handles this without a Pico remote.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I did that for one of my old bosses, he wanted flood lights on each corner of the house, but there was no way to get a switch leg from the attic, two stories down to the front door. Basement was even Sheetrock ceiling. Did the same thing with a Caseta switch.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I did that when a shower can light was supposed to be switched separately but wasn't, and the switch wall didn't go to the ceiling.