When did EGC's become popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I have noticed that many installations from the 60's, 70's, 80's and even into the mid 90's relied solely on the metallic raceway system (whatever type was installed) as the EGC. It seems that running a redundant EGC is somewhat of a "modern" thing.

Now, I have no problem with using raceway as a grounding conductor. It is Code compliant after all, and has been pointed out may even have lower impedance than a wire conductor.

I was just wondering why the shift was made to running a wire conductor for an EGC. I am guessing it has to do with the explosion in growth of electronics and the overall decline in quality and training and experience of electrical workers.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: When did EGC's become popular?

Lobbying by the Copper Manufacturer's Political Action Committee? :D

macmikeman

Cannot answer the question, but I do know that alot of the older conduit runs I encounter, the locknuts are so tight, it takes an act of Congress to remove them. I think quality overruled speed of install back in those day's. I pull a ground wire.

peter d

Goood point Charlie. If you ever surf the Copper Development Association's website, you get the impression that the streets should be paved with copper. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.