When did California adopt the requirement of two 20A circuits on kitchen countertops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brycenesbitt

Anyone know? In what year or code cycle did California adopt the requirement of two 20A circuits for kitchen countertops?
Prior to that date was it acceptable to have a single circuit in a small kitchen?

Last edited:

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My 1975 NEC - 220.3(b) (2) requires the two circuits for kitchen outlets. That's the code book that was in force when I hung out my shingle.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
My 1975 NEC - 220.3(b) (2) requires the two circuits for kitchen outlets. That's the code book that was in force when I hung out my shingle.
One of my local AHJ's says the 1972 NEC (if memory serves) was kept in his back pocket for over 10 years, before California adopted another code cycle some time in the 1980's.

bkludecke

Occupation
One of my local AHJ's says the 1972 NEC (if memory serves) was kept in his back pocket for over 10 years, before California adopted another code cycle some time in the 1980's.
Well, I started in the trade in CA in 1974 and we were being schooled in the 1971 NEC then. There never was a 1972 NEC, it jumped from 1971 to 1975 which was an exception to the three year cycle. I don't think that Title 24 - the CA Building Code - was created until the late '70s. Now we do go by the CA Electrical Code (CA Code of Regulations Title 24 Part 3) which is basically the NEC with some CA additions/changes, primarily in the administrative areas and also quite a bit in the healthcare sections.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Well, I started in the trade in CA in 1974 and we were being schooled in the 1971 NEC then...
If your still going after 46 years, maybe there is hope for me retiring at 70.

Kept busy after 50 by giving up tall ladders, and refusing any voltages over 208.
Trying to manage small ladders, attics, and crawl spaces until 60 if possible.

bkludecke

Occupation

Kept busy after 50 by giving up tall ladders, and refusing any voltages over 208.
I'm still going but I'm going a bit slower these days. I sold off my main company to my son last year and kept my old EC License to continue to do consulting work, small projects, and help doing fill-in work where my son needs it from time to time. It has been a good run so far in an industry that has really evolved over the decades. When I was taking night classes at the beginning of my career I actually took a class in slide rule. Calculators were very costly back then and many of the old instructors were bucking the trend.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I'll be 65 in May, and I'm still doing it all.

brycenesbitt

OP here: I hit this doing a JADU, or Junior ADU.

This is a new California class of rental dwelling consisting of a repurposed bedroom with external entrance and "efficiency kitchen".

That's where I hit the two circuit requirement.
The project was not required to update ventilation, heating, plumbing, knob & tube outlets, fire separation, not even smoke detectors or AFCI or TR or flow toilets.
But just one circuit on a 36" wide countertop with a microwave oven? Yup, they got me.

Status
Not open for further replies.