Whatever happened to NEC 2014 690.15(A)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
We are building a system with (4) inverters on a roof with an AC combiner at ground level. The inverters have integrated AC disconnects, but the inspector is telling us that he requires an external AC disco at each inverter. The language in the 2014 NEC 690.15(A) specifically says that the integrated disco in an inverter satisfies this requirement, but it is not there in 2017 or 2020. Did it get moved somewhere or just deleted?

ggunn

Occupation
Since when do inspectors get to decide what is required?
Inspectors get to decide whether or not a system will fail inspection, which can amount to the same thing. This inspector in particular has no technical oversight; unless I can find specific language like there was in the 2014 NEC in 690.15(A), we will have to install the discos.

ggunn

Occupation
Never mind; I found it. It's still in 690.15(A) but it's a bit buried and not as clearly stated as it was in 2014.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think in this case it is a somewhat understandable interpretation without further specific language:
Yeah but the language I believe that ggunn is referring to, which immediately follows, is pretty clear.

(A) Location: Isolating devices or equipment disconnecting means shall be installed... within the equipment, or within sight and within 3m (10ft) of the equipment. ...

pv_n00b

Inspectors get to decide whether or not a system will fail inspection, which can amount to the same thing. This inspector in particular has no technical oversight; unless I can find specific language like there was in the 2014 NEC in 690.15(A), we will have to install the discos.
In a C&I engineered project with detailed PE sealed AHJ plan check approved engineering drawings, the purpose of the inspection is to determine that it was installed according to the approved design drawings and that the work complies with code. If the inspector wants a design change then that's a fairly easy win for the contractor.
In residential and small commercial with basic generic drawings to pull a permit then the inspector has more flexibility in doing a little on the ground design change. Plus they will require the installation of new smoke detectors and a CO monitor.

ggunn

Occupation
In a C&I engineered project with detailed PE sealed AHJ plan check approved engineering drawings, the purpose of the inspection is to determine that it was installed according to the approved design drawings. If the inspector wants a design change then that's a fairly easy win for the contractor.
This point with the inspector came up at a preconstruction meeting. In the jurisdiction in question there is no formal evaluation/approval of a PV system design by the AHJ unless the system size equals or exceeds 500kW. This one doesn't, so we set up a meeting with the inspector to see if he would pass it if constructed per the (sealed by PE) planset, whereupon he told us that the discos would be required for him to pass it.

We formulated a response quoting the above mentioned language from the NEC, but we have not yet received a response.

pv_n00b

I'm dealing with an issue where the owner of a commercial PV project wants changes to the interconnection made after it received PTO and has been running. :confused:

ggunn

Occupation
I'm dealing with an issue where the owner of a commercial PV project wants changes to the interconnection made after it received PTO and has been running. :confused:
Why does he care how the system is interconnected?

pv_n00b

Why does he care how the system is interconnected?
They are an electrically sophisticated customer, high uptime data site with multiple backup generators, so they think that makes them a solar interconnection expert too. A case of knowing just enough to get it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.